WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Learn from marketing activities of your competitors and get successful, too!

Alex
Admin

Warning level : 100 %
Comments : I have left TelTalk.org.

Please contact the new forum
owner "tel.community" instead!

Learn from marketing activities of your competitors and get successful, too!

Post by Alex on Thu 24 May 2012, 10:28 am

Take a look here at the TLD .co!

Read about the success here at InternetRetailer.com:

Colombia's .CO takes on .com with 1 million registrations in less than a year

Some commercials can't hurt either:

I have left TelTalk.org. Please contact the new forum owner tel.community instead!
Bunjie
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Learn from marketing activities of your competitors and get successful, too!

Post by Bunjie on Thu 24 May 2012, 1:14 pm

.co was an easy marketing fiddle-faddle based on the fear factor of typo squatters, and giving people access to something almost like the .com they've wanted for years and could not afford, it was emotional based 'investment' for a majority of buyers, but played both sides well.

The high price was and is an insult to everyone who bought into it, myself included as it's really just a money grab by godaddy and the registry who sort them to market it in a way that would make the registry and affiliates rich.

Let's not forget .co is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) assigned to the Republic of Colombia, which is poor and has human rights issues?

http://www.hrw.org/americas/colombia

It maybe perfect marketing as it achieved it's goal, but we're now stuck with a high price tld many of us now realize we don't really want and are stuck in the marketing cycle of the fear factor.

.co was too easy to market as we've had generations of .com marketing that saturated us and it's only one step away from being a .com, so I don't see .co as any achievement as it really was too easy to market to the saturated super bowl market.

Surprised they didn't change their name to Co Daddy.

Alex
Admin

Re: Learn from marketing activities of your competitors and get successful, too!

Post by Alex on Thu 24 May 2012, 1:37 pm

I agree, .co is just a ccTLD and shouldn't be confused with a gTLD.

In addition the economy of Columbia has not the same strength as countries with other successful ccTLDs like .de and .uk.

For some companies it was interesting to buy short domain names under .co:

• Amazon: a.co
  • Google: g.co
  • Overstock: o.co
  • Twitter: t.co
  • GoDaddy: x.co

Otherwise I don't see a big continuing growth for .co in the future either.

All the more it's interesting to see how it's possible to sell a useless product if you make the right marketing for it!

I have left TelTalk.org. Please contact the new forum owner tel.community instead!

Alex
Admin

O.co loses 61% of its traffic to O.com

Post by Alex on Wed 30 May 2012, 4:04 am

TelTalk wrote:
  • Overstock: o.co
Overstock.com’s decision to rebrand itself O.co had a disastrous effect on the internet retailer’s traffic, according to its CEO.

By Kevin Murphy

Patrick Byrne told financial analysts yesterday that “O.co was my bad call” and that “about eight out of 13 people who were trying to visit us through O.co, eight were typing O.com”

It’s not clear what the source of the data is, or why the measurement given was out of 13, but it works out to 61%.

Byrne noted that people may have typed o.co instead after figuring out that o.com doesn’t work – it’s currently reserved, alongside most other single-letter .com domains, by Verisign.

His comments came as Overstock reported 2011 revenue down 3% to $1.05 billion and fourth-quarter revenue down 10% to $314 million.

Byrne said on a conference call with analysts:
There were some bad decisions for which I take responsibility in marketing O.co. O.co was odd in that it worked on one level. It did get out there into people’s heads, but what we discovered, and we turned it up slowly and we actually had nice adoption from the beginning of last year, gradually people shifting to O.co and then, but we got into the Christmas season and it worked terribly for people who were not familiar with us. There was a tremendous amount of traffic diverting to O.com and I think we’ve figured out that it was about eight out of 13 people who were trying to visit us through O.co, eight were typing O.com. Now some of them may have come, trying anyway.
The company bought o.co from registry .CO Internet for $350,000 in July 2010, during the .co relaunch. It later said it would rebrand the company on its new domain.

It even bought the naming rights to the Oakland Coliseum, which is now known as the O.co Coliseum.

Until quite recently, Overstock was an important .CO Internet reference customer. Now, I’m guessing, not so much.

Overstock has “slowed” its rebranding, reverting to referring to o.co as a “shortcut” rather than its primary address, which remains overstock.com.

The company bought o.info last year and this week launched the site as an information portal for its products. It also operates o.biz as a business-to-business site.

Source: DomainIncite.com

Alex
Admin

Why the case O.co is so important to know?

Post by Alex on Wed 30 May 2012, 4:17 am

It's hard to change the customer habits:

• If you want people searching for you in the US, consider they will always type .com at the end of the website address.
  • If you want people searching for you in other countries, consider they will always type the related ccTLD (e. g.: .co.uk for Great Britain) at the end of the website address.

Can you imagine what it takes to re-educate your customers to type .tel instead?

mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:04 pm

TelTalk wrote:It's hard to change the customer habits:

• If you want people searching for you in the US, consider they will always type .com at the end of the website address.
  • If you want people searching for you in other countries, consider they will always type the related ccTLD (e. g.: .co.uk for Great Britain) at the end of the website address.

Can you imagine what it takes to re-educate your customers to type .tel instead?
I used to think that users will end up typing .com instead of .co - but what happens in practice is that many users arrive at your .co site having NOT typed the domain name at all e.g. clicking on a page displayed in search engine results, directory link, AdWords ad, Bookmark etc.

I've found .co to be both a good revenue earner and treated equally (everything else being the same) as .com by Google etc.

Perhaps the most important point is that you can often still register a keyword .co for $25 (reduced by around 50% with fairly frequent special offers), as opposed to having to buy a .com for a few thousand dollars on the aftermarket.

http://MikeSeaton.tel

Last edited by mikeseaton on Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:13 pm

BTW Telnic/Telnames didn't take my advice I gave on the Telnic forum to defensively register Telnames.co - so a .tel entrepreneur did so instead !

See http://www.Telnames.co and http://www.easywhois.com/?domain=telnames.co

Telminator
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Warning level : Banned

Post by Telminator on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 10:58 am

mikeseaton wrote:
I used to think that users will end up typing .com instead of .co - but what happens in practice is that many users arrive at your .co site having NOT typed the domain name at all e.g. clicking on a page displayed in search engine results, directory link, AdWords ad, Bookmark etc.

I've found .co to be both a good revenue earner and treated equally (everything else being the same) as .com by Google etc.

Perhaps the most important point is that you can often still register a keyword .co for $25 (reduced by around 50% with fairly frequent special offers), as opposed to having to buy a .com for a few thousand dollars on the aftermarket.

Isn't that the case with any TLD? What is the advantage of .co in comparison to .us or even to .hn for Honduras?
Of course there was more marketing for .co, but the handling on Google is the same for any TLD!?
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 7:23 am

Telminator wrote:Isn't that the case with any TLD? What is the advantage of .co in comparison to .us or even to .hn for Honduras?
1. .CO is easily remembered as standing for COmpany, COrporation, or COmmercial.

2. .CO can be used as an international domain, .US and .HN cannot.

Telminator wrote:Of course there was more marketing for .co...
Precisely - that's incredibly important for internet success in a crowded marketplace.

Telminator wrote:...but the handling on Google is the same for any TLD!?
Not in my experience - as mentioned .CO is treated as an international domain by Google which means you can use it to get good Google SERPS listings for content which targets any, or multiple, countries.

mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 7:32 am

For those who want to learn more about .CO check out the registry web site at http://www.cointernet.co

BTW Name.com have a Special Offer on .CO currently that allows registration for just $12.99
- see http://www.name.com/pricing

.TEL and .CO work pretty well together - use your .TEL to provide multiple targeted links to help get your .CO indexed and provide link juice and traffic.

Here's an example of a .TEL I have set up to do this - it links to a .COM but the principle is the same - http://BoatFinder.tel which links to various country-based subdomains on http://www.BoatSearchEngine.com

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 2:35 pm