WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Does the Telnic strategy make sense?

Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Warning level : 100 %

Does the Telnic strategy make sense?

Post by Sunrise on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 7:00 pm

Telnic never reacted to the huge amount of criticism.
Now I’m asking myself can it be that all of us are wrong and Telnic knows business better than domain investors?
Can it be that cancellation of all development can be good to wait for signs of the right direction?
Can it be good to cut all communication with customers, because no agreement between Telnic and customers would be possible?
Is a slow growth (or even the current setback) better than wasting money for development and marketing too early?
Do we just have too high expectations?
Is it better to work in silence to keep business secrets really secret?
Is a success of .tel possible by waiting for the right time before starting any activities?
Should we trust Telnic instead an open communication?
Is it true that domain investors involved in .tel are only greedy and mean people who don’t know how the internet will develop?
What makes Telnic so confident that their management believes no communication with their customers is necessary?
Over the last year we have made our point very clear and have been ignored all the time.
Perhaps it’s time to go into another direction and trust that people at Telnic have good things in mind and know what they are doing … if they are doing something (for what we don’t have any proof)!
How can we know as long Telnic doesn’t speak with us?
These are only a few thoughts I had today!

maxi
Insider
Insider

Re: Does the Telnic strategy make sense?

Post by maxi on Wed 01 May 2013, 4:04 am

I think that the reasons of behaviour, which from the fist glance could look unlogic, most probably were already found: http://www.teltalk.org/t1074-after-telnic-canceled-all-work-the-only-thing-we-can-do-is-waiting#6524

Answer to a question "Who will have profit from ruining a business?" and it will be not difficult to find a right answer.
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Wed 01 May 2013, 6:25 pm

@Sunrise - interesting post - but as usual in this situation more questions asked than will ever be fully answered.

I still find it very ironic that a company that wants to change the way the world communicates (using dial/email/skype etc by name from the DNS) is unable to communicate effectively with its own customers !

IMO the biggest danger Telnic now faces is that software developers, domain investors, power users and registrars (****** off with the Telnames direct-sell operation) will simply lose interest in the .tel extension !

There are nearly 2000 opportunities coming up soon with the new gTLDs - .tel will have to compete with these for people's time and money.

And please no posts saying ".tel has its data in the DNS and so it will see off the competition" - users simply don't care about this - the only relevance is what is actually being achieved by developers using the DNS to provide cost-effective and revenue-generating new services ?

Telnic, Telnames, anyone else - please provide any concrete examples you have of the .tel "Data in the DNS" concept being successfully used today - it's already been 4 years since .tel's launch in March 2009 !

http://MikeSeaton.tel

Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Post by Sunrise on Wed 01 May 2013, 7:19 pm

mikeseaton wrote:Telnic, Telnames, anyone else - please provide any concrete examples you have of the .tel "Data in the DNS" concept being successfully used today - it's already been 4 years since .tel's launch in March 2009 !
Good point.
I'm sure EVERYBODY who ever bought a .tel is hoping it could have some use one day.
This day hasn't come yet.
I think the probability for it is beyond our control, because Telnic don't want to help.
On the other hand Telnic must know this, because that's the only reason I can think of why Telnic canceled all projects.
It seems we are in the same boat with Telnic.
Unfortunately Telnic doesn't like to say what it has to say.
Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Post by Sunrise on Wed 01 May 2013, 7:26 pm

And there is another point:
If we want to buy a car, we have to accept the features of the chosen model.
As a customer we have no legal right for any future add-ons.
Unfortunately we bought only a Trabant, but we expected one day it will be as fast and beautiful as a BMW.
Sorry to all Germans for this comparison! I know we have a lot of .tel fans in Germany.

Today I understand Telnic a little bit better.
We always asked for things Telnic is not able to deliver, because it's only a small company at the beginning with little manpower.
And what should Telnic answer to all our questions?
Should Telnic admit there is no solution yet to solve all the known problems?
Perhaps it's better to say nothing.
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Mon 06 May 2013, 9:30 am

Sunrise wrote:Unfortunately we bought only a Trabant, but we expected one day it will be as fast and beautiful as a BMW.
Just been away to Devon for a few days in my beautiful silver BMW Coupe, so couldn't resist posting a reply !

During this time I drove hundreds of miles on all types of roads, saw thousands of commercial signwritten vehicles, but not one of them had a website address using the .tel extension.

Masses of .co.uk of course, some .coms, a few .net/.info/.biz, BUT NOT A SINGLE .TEL TO BE FOUND !

Same story as myself and my girlfriend did all the touristy bits in the Devon villages, towns and cities - .TEL SIMPLY DOES NOT EXIST IN THE REAL (UK) WORLD WHERE PEOPLE EAT, DRINK, SHOP AND STAY !

I've made all sorts of suggestions to Telnic during the last 2 or 3 years to rectify this situation - see http://www.telnic.org/forum for over 1,000 posts I made before being banned from the Telnic forum - but more than 4 years after .tel's launch the only version now being actively marketed (by http://www.telnames.com) has less than 10,000 domain registrations worldwide (see *).

IMO THE .TEL PROJECT IS IN SERIOUS TROUBLE UNLESS TELNIC CAN ARRANGE A BUYOUT BY A MAJOR PLAYER WITH A DYNAMIC 24/7 APPROACH TO INTERNET BUSINESS SUCCESS !

It all comes down to Kash in the end !

* The total figure for all types of .tel can be found at http://www.dottel.net - this also shows the figures for IDNs, TelChina (TC) and Telnames (TN) registrations.

lostwithiel

Dot Tel in Devon and Cornwall

Post by lostwithiel on Mon 06 May 2013, 4:27 pm

Mike wrote:

Same story as myself and my girlfriend did all the touristy bits in
the Devon villages, towns and cities - .TEL SIMPLY DOES NOT EXIST IN THE
REAL (UK) WORLD WHERE PEOPLE EAT, DRINK, SHOP AND STAY !
Interesting comments Mike. However I’m not sure if you are implying that take-up of .tel in Devon is less than in Hampshire or if you are just making a general comment.

It appears to me that Roy Gavin and his www.quicklookmedia.com are working hard to develop town based dottel directories in Devon and Cornwall. He has over 70 towns listed on his website. There is an article about his plans at http://www.telnic.org/community-story-chagford.html

If I google "Crediton" then crediton.tel shows up at number 3 in the SERPS out of over 11 million pages. Hardly low profile !!

Here in deepest Cornwall we are working on development of www.lostwithiel.tel to augment the main website town website at www.lostwithiel.org.uk . We will target visitors in the area using QR codes to link to the site via their mobile phone. It is early days but I am pleased with progress to date. If you look at our site you will see it is linked to the “REAL WORLD” targeting “WHERE PEOPLE EAT, DRINK, SHOP AND STAY”

Regards
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Mon 06 May 2013, 4:46 pm

lostwithiel wrote:Mike wrote:

Same story as myself and my girlfriend did all the touristy bits in
the Devon villages, towns and cities - .TEL SIMPLY DOES NOT EXIST IN THE REAL (UK) WORLD WHERE PEOPLE EAT, DRINK, SHOP AND STAY !
Interesting comments Mike. However I’m not sure if you are implying that take-up of .tel in Devon is less than in Hampshire or if you are just making a general comment.
@lostwithiel - I am making a general comment following a few days holiday in Devon involving hundreds of miles driving and visting lots of tourist destinations.

.TEL WAS NOWHERE TO BE SEEN IN THE REAL WORLD !

mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Mon 06 May 2013, 5:08 pm

BTW I applaud the work that Roy Gavin has done in his creation of .tel directories - unfortunately Telnic/Telnames have decided to no longer actively market the original subdomain version of .tel - the only currently marketed .tel format is the single page version as shown by the Telnames http://YourBusiness.tel example.

If you have any doubt about the above statement, please explain why:

- Telnic have cancelled their .tel Roadmap
- Telnic have cancelled their .Telegraph Newsletter
- Telnic have put their Forum into "lockdown" mode
- Telnic have put a stop to any real development of subdomain .tels
- The new iPhone & Android apps are only for Telnames .tels
- The Affiliate Program is only for Telnames .tels
- The TV ads, Business shows, Radio interviews, etc are only for Telnames .tels

IT'S PRETTY OBVIOUS - Telnic subdomain .tels have no marketable future !

mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Sun 09 Jun 2013, 2:00 pm

The more I'm out and about driving the roads of the south coast, the more I am convinced there is a MASSIVE MISSED OPPORTUNITY FOR .TEL !

Being commercially minded I tend to notice the signwriting on cars, vans and lorries - a vital promotional opportunity for any company.

When I notice a company that looks like it has an interesting product or service, there is no way if I am alone in the car that I can take a note of their telephone number to contact them.

But remember a .tel name - easy - and if I want to I could record that in my smartphone the next time I stop for a coffee.

BUT "JOE COMPANY" HAS NEVER HEARD OF .TEL - AND SO WILL NEVER PUT IT ON HIS VEHICLE !

That's the problem, anyone got the solution ?

Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Post by Sunrise on Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:05 pm

mikeseaton wrote:That's the problem, anyone got the solution ?
Create an offer for a website that looks nice (Telnames) and equip it with subdomains (Telnic) and the ability to insert long text and text formatting (to make it detectable at Google).
But long story short: Telnic doesn't want to do it!
As long Telnic remains stubborn, your scenario is impossible!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 7:59 am