WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

What is a .tel good for?

Starfighter

Warning level : 100 %

What is a .tel good for?

Post by Starfighter on Mon 13 May 2013, 8:18 pm

I can't upload pictures and videos.
I can only insert contact data what I can do with every other domain, too.
I have only very few design options with very little variety.

Is .tel a lite version of .com? Why I have to pay the same price for a .tel then?
Is there anything I can do with a .tel?
kprobe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: What is a .tel good for?

Post by kprobe on Tue 14 May 2013, 5:38 am

You can do lots with pro .TEL but to get the effect you still have to use third party tools, eg www.telmasters.com and www.telvision.co to produce sites like TorontoCanada.tel and Homes.tel
Mark

supercyberheroes
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by supercyberheroes on Tue 14 May 2013, 6:21 am

Starfighter wrote:I can't upload pictures and videos.

Is .tel a lite version of .com? Why I have to pay the same price for a .tel then?

You can make .tel sites like http://movie.tel/ http://the-croods.uk.movie.tel/ or http://4g.tel/ and I am building a lot more. have a look. Also look this good one: http://barack.tel/

Cheers

www.movie.tel
www.ideal.tel
www.4g.tel

Last edited by supercyberheroes on Tue 14 May 2013, 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
GoTel

Post by GoTel on Tue 14 May 2013, 6:26 am

Starfighter wrote:I can't upload pictures and videos.

You are absolutely right, .tel is a joke compared to .com

No matter what anyone tells you, it is a complete joke compared to .com and any other tld

The ONLY value .tel has is as a listing in a directory, like Yellow Pages and the like.

Telnic stated this was "the big advantage of .tel" - "to participate in the worlds first global telephone directory".

People jumped at the idea.

Unfortunately they NEVER followed through, and it is a joke that they are constantly trying to salvage.

Unless they do what was advertised "day one" it will always be a joke.

Only a fool would have a .tel for the sake of a domain name space, unless they are simply looking for a "listing" style web page and nothing more.

Even with that, there are cheaper options, especially if you have more than one.
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Tue 14 May 2013, 8:53 am

GoTel wrote:Only a fool would have a .tel for the sake of a domain name space, unless they are simply looking for a "listing" style web page and nothing more.

Even with that, there are cheaper options, especially if you have more than one.
Very true - many are FREE - some of these options are listed at http://www.teltalk.org/t800-a-small-collection-of-competitors-for-telnames

However the whole idea of .tel is NOT PHASE 1, which is what you see now (the creation of data via Telnic/Telnames "web sites"), BUT THE PHASE 2 CONCEPT OF USING THE DATA IN THE .TEL DNS FOR AUTOMATED ONLINE SERVICES.

This has been covered by Henri Asseily the Chief Technology Officer of both Telnic and Telnames, in posts he has made over the last couple of years.

The problem is that CRITICAL MASS is necessary to attract Telcos and software developers to develop these PHASE 2 SERVICES - it is getting to this many millions of registered (and more importantly populated) .tel domains that is the subject of so much debate !

http://MikeSeaton.tel

Last edited by mikeseaton on Tue 14 May 2013, 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Toptel

Post by Toptel on Tue 14 May 2013, 9:04 am

Since phase 1 has failed, can we assume phase 2 will never happen?
Because critical mass is only a dream – and with the current stage of development impossible to reach?!
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Tue 14 May 2013, 9:26 am

Toptel wrote:Since phase 1 has failed, can we assume phase 2 will never happen?
Because critical mass is only a dream – and with the current stage of development impossible to reach?!
Based on the current rate of progress - or reduction in total registrations month by month (see 2011, 2012, 2013) - the answer IMO is likely to be YES !

But there are 3 possible scenarios that could still save the day:

1. Telnic/Telnames is bought out by a major player (eg. Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Yahoo etc) between now and 2016.

2. Telnic/Telnames run out of the last of the $35,000,000 shareholder funding in 2016 (my estimate based on ongoing annual losses) and its intellectual property assets are taken over by a major player (see above).

3. Telnic/Telnames emulate success stories like Facebook, Twitter etc and offer a BASIC .TEL FREE in order to generate a CRITICAL MASS of millions of users and Telcos and software developers start to run PHASE 2 AUTOMATED SERVICES.

In the absence of 1), 2) or 3) happening the outlook is not good for the .tel project - let's hope Telnic/Telnames will come up with 1) or 3) very soon !

http://MikeSeaton.tel

GoTel

Post by GoTel on Thu 16 May 2013, 6:37 am

mikeseaton wrote: 3. Telnic/Telnames emulate success stories like Facebook, Twitter etc and offer a BASIC .TEL FREE in order to generate a CRITICAL MASS of millions of users and Telcos and software developers start to run PHASE 2 AUTOMATED SERVICES.

This is the one.

Giving away a .tel to everyone and paying for entry in a popular directory would attract critical mass and attract those willing to pay for a place to advertise that is REAL.

Last edited by Tel Forum on Thu 16 May 2013, 7:51 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Deletion of provocative wording)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 16 Jan 2018, 4:34 pm