WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Everybody calm down!

iamcyrus

Warning level : 100 %

Everybody calm down!

Post by iamcyrus on Thu 23 May 2013, 9:41 pm

In reading these posts, there seems to be some fear that if or when Telnic goes out of business, the .tel TLD will go with it. Stop worrying! There are a number of safety nets in place that address registry failure, financial and otherwise, so that when it happens, the whole TLD isn't interrupted, much less obliterated.

I agree with everyone that .tel should've been handled considerably better. Unlike everyone else, I'm not at all bothered by the simplicity of the contact page. I think it's obviously meant to be a quick-loading mobile gateway, rather than a reflection of the registrant's design skills. I thought the very first mistake was that it tried to appeal to big businesses, rather than individuals. Large organizations already have websites with contact pages. .Tel should've been promoted to individuals as an easy-to-remember uniform digital identity where you could connect to everything from one place. When it launched I saw it fulfilling the early promises that .name made years before. .Name was originally run as a unique 3rd-level forwarding service by London-based "Global Name Registry." But .name soon became available for ordinary 2nd level registrations and GNR was swallowed up by Verisign. Even though .name is not a particularly popular TLD, it's generic and unsponsored, and in no danger of going away. It's one of the seven TLDs that Network Solutions will register for 100 years (the others are .biz, .com, .info, .net, .org & .us).

I imagine something similar happening with .tel. Probably one of the large back-end registries like Neustar, Afilias or Verisign will acquire it. Maybe they'll treat it like an ordinary domain name that can be forwarded or hosted anywhere, with the current contact page as an option for those who want it. Or maybe they'll have great ideas and make it what it should've been in the beginning. But I don't see any scenario where the entire TLD ceases to exist.
Boracay

Re: Everybody calm down!

Post by Boracay on Fri 24 May 2013, 1:25 am

iamcyrus wrote:......Tel should've been promoted to individuals as an easy-to-remember uniform digital identity where you could connect to everything from one place.

It was... BUT now Telnames took away the privacy feature!

that was an ideal feature for an individual to keep very easily (online/secure) ALL the usernames/passwords said individual needs these days when visiting/returning and accessing the never ending saga of website gateways

Who here has the brainpower ...the ultimate username/password notepad formula memory procedure to enlighten onto us all these days...

It's easy.
Please put back the privacy feature.

www.boracay.tel (a directory of "resorts") voted world's number 1 island resort destination of 2012
www.bali.tel (a directory of "resorts") voted world's number 2 island resort destination of 2012
Tim Spears

Post by Tim Spears on Fri 24 May 2013, 5:40 am

It's a shame that we have to wait for an acquisition before .tel gets developed.
Why can't Telnic start with some easy improvements now? It would increase the sales price to the advantage of the current shareholders, too.
TelBlogger
Insider
Insider

Warning level : 75 %

Post by TelBlogger on Fri 24 May 2013, 12:16 pm

Tim Spears wrote:It's a shame that we have to wait for an acquisition before .tel gets developed.
Why can't Telnic start with some easy improvements now? It would increase the sales price to the advantage of the current shareholders, too.

Why? Because they are █████.

Last edited by Tel Forum on Fri 24 May 2013, 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deletion of provocative wording)
wibblenut

Post by wibblenut on Sat 25 May 2013, 2:22 pm

For those interested ICANN has a Registry Continuity Plan.http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registries/continuity.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 10:45 am