WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Putting up a direct link for the .tel forum

Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 1:11 pm

mactel04-05-2010 10:21 AM

Putting up a direct link for the .tel forum:

Present situation:
Existing link to the .tel forum:
http://www.telnic.com/forum/

Recommendation: For example:
http://www.telforum.com

Existing example:
http://www.englishforum.ch/

Conclusion:
Find the forum easier. Get better access to the forum.
As the redirect link, is mostly only for insiders.
But we also want more outsiders to visit the forum.

And so, one could search for „telforum“, for example, to bring up the forum page.

Result:
We would get a lot more forum members. and registrants for .tel domains.

Bunjie04-05-2010 10:26 AM

Can't TELNIC claw back http://forum.tel
and use it for that purpose? without it being part of the proxy

Like http://www.nic.tel :p and maybe http://www.my.tel can take you to a telfriends login page, to look at your stats or what ever.

JLouisBiz04-05-2010 10:40 AM

If you write in Google: "tel domain" -- you get TELNAME.COM

And I use telname.com/forum

The URL is not the only factor to bring new visitors. Right now: telsters.com rank better for "tel domain forum", but there are so many keywords. It is hard to satisfy everyone, and not needed, as this forum is ranked anyway very well.

Cees04-05-2010 10:58 AM

Interesting mactel,
I was in the City today using a computer in the Apple store and brought up the Telnic.org main page, and that was exactly my thought too, because even on this page, the entry to .tel Nirvana, its not overly obvious where the Forum may be, in fact people may not even look for one, I feel it ought to be more out there! a lot of people new to this type of thing need all the help they can get, thus I think better placement of the "Forum" button/link would I think be hugely beneficial.
Cheers

JLouisBiz04-05-2010 11:05 AM

TELNIC.ORG has an excellent educational front page and most important stuff for TEL domain users.

It does not clearly show where is the forum, but who is on the forum, knows that anyway. There is also developer forum and many other sections of the website, so I would not put forum on the front page.

People find it over Google anyway. If there is question on TEL domains, raised on forum, people find it over Google.

See:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...q=telnic+forum

mactel04-05-2010 11:06 AM

Hi Cees...:

Bingo!

Thanks for your great post and feedback. Exactly. 
As you mention: When one vistits the telnic site, there should be a huge and well visible "forum sign", or "forum button". 
It should be a no-brainer to stumble into the forum...
That is exactly it, Cees. You understand the problem, and got the message.

Cees04-05-2010 11:52 AM

It does not clearly show where is the forum, but who is on the forum, knows that anyway. There is also developer forum and many other sections of the website, so I would not put forum on the front page.

People find it over Google anyway. If there is question on TEL domains, raised on forum, people find it over Google.

Hi Louis,
I'm looking at it from the perspective of the uninitiated, the converted will find the Forum no matter what, put it this way that's one of the first things I typically look for as that's where most of the really valuable info may be found.

Hi mactel, 
Bingo! your welcome
Cees

JLouisBiz04-05-2010 12:08 PM

When I try thinking as some TEL domain holder, the first thing I need is not the forum, but applications for mobiles devices.

Forum is needed for discussion of various TEL domain issues, but TEL domain itself is usable. And most important are applications, so that I can give them to friends, and that they can update or find me.

It shall be paramount to any TEL domain holder to promote those Outlook, iPhone and other mobile applications, as that is how people will find you and get your information.

mactel04-05-2010 12:15 PM

It is about getting new forum members, Cees... (finding the forum for the first time, "to taste the flavor"...).
It is not mainly about existing forum members, Cees.

And furthermore, "first time visitors", as well as regular visitors or members would like a non-brainer option to enter the forum (for the first time, or for each time).

Of course, if they have a Firefox browser (or "Iceape", etc., but not "Konqueror"), than they can configure it, so that Firefox remembers previous website links that you have visited before, and you only have to re-select it, within the popup-window (link selection, of often visited links).

However, the way, how people find or access the .tel forum, should be treated in the same manner, as if the forum was a main website, with a direct link. So one can either enter the forum via a direct link, or get redirected from a main website, such as the entry page of the telnic.com website. Or you enter the forum via a stored link within your browser. But having a direct link in addition, is a clear advantage, nobody would deny, or put in question. 

The question of this thread thread, that I have started, is: "How can the .tel forum get a lot more members and visitors within reasonable time, and how can we improve the searchability and the finding of the forum?" It is not a big thing, to add another link, to help people find the forum easier. People are interested in forums, if they are interested in the related product, but they have to know about the existance of such a forum, at first, before they want to look it up.

JLouisBiz04-05-2010 12:29 PM

Regardless of a number of forum members, those speaking are anyway advanced TEL domain owners, either by number of TEL domains, or by what they do in relation to TEL domains.

Let me see: I am an artist, I have bought TEL domain to be universally accessible and now I come to TELNIC forum to discuss TEL domains. For me this is rare situation to happen. What might happen is that someone registers, and never discuss technical stuff or TEL domain sales stuff, or TEL dreams, and so on.

What dreams? Most of people have simply need for a website and to get more promotion, they buy a TEL domain, they put their contact information and promote it themselves.

mactel04-05-2010 12:56 PM

Yes, sure, Louis. You are right.

But anybody, who wants to get more understanding about .tel, and wants to get more knowledgable about .tel won't come around by not reading .tel forums. 

Furthermore, the official .tel forum, as well as the french "Toutpointtel", and "Telsters", is for trouble shooting, as well. And sooner or later any user gets troubles using a product, program, system or application, etc.

Every .tel owner, who has nicely set up his .tel domain, has been consulting the .tel forums, and of course other info on the telnic website, and so on.

And so, we want to make it easy, for newbie's, newcomers or inexperienced and interested people, new to .tel.

Cees04-05-2010 01:18 PM

Firstly, you all raise valid point's of course.
I'm probably a bit anal when it come to ferreting out information, so maybe I shouldn't comment, I understand not everyone has a need for the forum, however even long term domainers can still pick up the odd bit of information, no one knows it all.
And yes I think the forum link should scream at you, if only for newbie's, .tel's are supposed to be about accessible information, so why not on it's main gateway.
Cheers
Cees

JLouisBiz04-05-2010 01:28 PM

You mean make it bigger and more visible? As it is there as a link.

mactel04-05-2010 03:48 PM

I think, bigger and more visible, would be part of the solution.

Some things, that could be in the future, are often beon imagination.
So, you see the number of visitors and members, and you will be able to compare those figurs in two years, with todays figurs. And it might look quite stunning. Like: "Wow!...".

I like small, but .tel and its comunity has to grow fast, and today, there is hardly enough time for things to grow as big as they should be, within reasonable time, to be able to compete against established and new competition. 

Speed, helps.
We are so small, that we better create joint ventures within the .tel holders / registrants. That would be another way to boost .tel, and bring it to mainstream popularity.
After the new .telproxy, there is nevertheless no time to loose.
The time between the small steps (RoadMap) should be keept tighter and shorter, and so, we should do more small steps within short time.

Another question:
How can you make .tel more popular?:
Is perhaps the forum the strongest "motor"?
Would the forum be the main solution, to go from?
And how much potential does the official .tel forum have?
The amount of thread categories should be twice as much.
There are a lot more forum categoies and themes to cover.
Dot tel could be so helpful for so many small businesses, but they got to be able to learn about .tel.
The forum is able to answer all questions around .tel, and so people got to know and learn about the forum.
So many users of technology are not able to troubleshoot within resonable time, and so, any technology that is able to provide efficient troubleshooting wins, if users know where to get help.

You do not only buy a product, but you buy customer service at the same time. If the one does not work, the other has to work, to make the firstly work again. Only if there are satisfyied customers, there will be more future customers to join. And that is how a community of customers and user grow.

Again: Think about the importance of this forum. And you will not hesitate to improve it in the right way.
And then it would be no question, to spread the word about the forum, and simplify access to the forum.

Small and exotic communities, like "Linux-Ubuntu" operation system users, depend strongly on the specific forums, and do very well with them, and are happy with their operation systems. For one reason, because they get fast and efficient support, for something that the industry does not support (hard ware compatibility). And so, the small, small, small "Linux-Ubunu", or "Linux-Debian" is able ot outperform the huge "Windows" at any time, because it is small, but better and more powerful. There can be enough support for "very small", so that "very small" is viable, and going strong.

A important part of the support for .tel users, is provided by member Louis, within the official .tel forum. This forum. And you got to hand it to him. He is the one, who has been working on sulutions for .tel, and will be the one, who will finally solve "advertising within .tel". And this time, it will be a satisfying solution for all users. He obviously has the right spirit for .tel. And will provide us with tools that work quasi "out of the box".

What is a technology forum about?: To get help, and to improve the technology.

dottel04-05-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactel (Post 7670)
Putting up a direct link for the .tel forum:

Present situation:
Existing link to the .tel forum:
http://www.telnic.com/forum/

[size]
Are you suggesting Telnic should have a seperate domain for forum?
and not telnic.org/forum?[/size]

mactel04-05-2010 06:50 PM

Yes.

Or then, such a link should be provided in addition to the existing solution.

But I think, just a seperate domain for the forum "would do the trick", and be more helpful, and easier to access the forum. 
From the telnic website, they could just redirect the forum to the other link. 

dottel04-05-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactel (Post 7710)
Yes.

Or then, such a link should be provided in addition the existing solution.

But I think, just a seperate domain for the forum "would do the trick", and be more helpful, and easier to access the forum. 
From the telnic website, they could just redirect the forum to the other link. 

[size]
that will not necessarily do any trick.
already there are more than 3 urls which points to same content.
telname.com/forum
telnic.org/forum
telnic.com/forum
and may be even more...

moreover, i see many .tel related search results in Google shows from forum so it's quite well indexed.

may be Telnic can highlight the forum section on homepage.[/size]

mactel04-05-2010 07:30 PM

Good idea.

It is also about giving in a domain name into your browser: It is easier, without a slash, plus (/+).

It is faster if you use your browser, than to consult Google Search. 

Some people have never consulted the telnic forum before, and so their browser hasn't yet saved the forum link, to be able to select from, for calling up the forum site. 

In that case, they would have to type in the forum address into their browser. At least, the first time. 

Often, people are on foreign computers, if travelling: For example, on a PC inside the "business center" of their hotel. 
And so, there are always situations, where you would have to type in the domain name into the browser, newly, and where it is not yet stored. Or you would have to go to "telnic.com", and then scrawl right down the page, and go to "Ask & .Tel", and then to ".Tel Forum", to finally get there..., if your mind where blocked, however.

It shall be a non-brainer, to just remember the simple name of the forum, without having to to search for: Google, than "Telnic Forum", or whatever, or to have to do the tiring process through the telnic start page (scrawl right down the page, and go to "Ask & .Tel", and then to ".Tel Forum").

Like only: "telforum", each time. Works eitherway, anytime, anywhere, on any computer. Memorable, easy to remember, even if you are stressed, and your mind is confused...

Not having to depend on stored links, or links with slashes (sub domain links), like: 
http://www.telnic.com/forum/ ...
And not having to navigate through the telnic start page: 
Scrawl right down the page, and go to "Ask & .Tel", and then to ".Tel Forum".
Not having to do troublesome typing of hard to remember domain names with slashes-plus (/+).
Simply something like "telforum" (and if it is a dot com, the extension will be put automatically, with no need to type the extension), anywhere, and on any computer, and that's it.

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:37 am