WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Choice of domain names

Share
avatar
Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Join date : 2014-12-30
Posts : 2903 Points : 8908
Reputation : 0
Warning level : 100 %

Choice of domain names

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 1:17 pm

maximka01-27-2010 08:03 PM




Choice of domain names
 
Expiring Domains Research Pro Tips


http://www.dotsauce.com/2009/10/10/expiring-domains/

By Mark Fulton. Mark is a full time web developer, domain investor, entrepreneur and blogger residing on the coast of North Carolina, USA.





.

pink01-27-2010 09:05 PM




Quote:



Originally Posted by maximka (Post 4955)
Expiring Domains Research Pro Tips


http://www.dotsauce.com/2009/10/10/expiring-domains/

By Mark Fulton. Mark is a full time web developer, domain investor, entrepreneur and blogger residing on the coast of North Carolina, USA.





.



[size]
Nice article resource, maximka.


Code:
[/size]


Code:
5. Avoid hyphenated domains… Please?

I don’t care what any search marketing guru told you, hyphenated domains have many drawbacks that may not be readily apparent.  Aside from the fact that it looks un-professional, when mentioning a hyphenated domain in public it sounds awkward.

Hyphenated domains also risk losing a large portion of website traffic to the non-hyphenated namesake.



[size]
:D[/size]

larabush03-19-2010 08:10 AM




Its really nice...Amazing...Its sound to me

JLouisBiz03-19-2010 09:11 AM




That is not correct, it is only his personal opinion. It may be true for him, as he shapes himself on limited information. Certainly it is not true for all.

Our hyphenated domains rank always better than our same non-hyphenated domains, and better then of competitors with similar domains, similar words, hyphenated domains. Since 2002, our hyphenated domains are bringing us true income, enough for life and pleasure. 

And if you have hyphenated,you shall have non hyphenated too.

Again and again there are "experts" teaching those which had their websites when experts were still in the middle school. Mark Fulton started his now very informative DotSauce.Com in 2007, we started making money from Internet in 1995 in a different business, and in 2002. in business services.

dottel03-19-2010 10:46 AM




Quote:



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7094)
Again and again there are "experts" teaching those which had their websites when experts were still in the middle school. Mark Fulton started his now very informative DotSauce.Com in 2007, we started making money from Internet in 1995 in a different business, and in 2002. in business services.


[size]
I do not think it's the matter of who started business first:D
The success depends on individuals, how they build and promote the site...
but yes there are some issues with hyphen domains like
1. It's hard to give your domain name verbally
2. Falls down on being easy to remember or type
3. Market value of a domain name when compared to non-hyphen[/size]

JLouisBiz03-19-2010 11:00 AM




I know what is being "spoken around". But I had never a problem telling verbally our domain names; our agents had no problem telling verbally our domain names and I had never heard of client complaining due to domain name. That is my life, I should have know that within 10 years, at least.

Of course, I am acquainted with the "talk" about domains, but I am speaking out of the real life.

If you don't have problems telling people the word "dot" between domain and com, you will not have a problem telling people about your hyphenated domain. If someone has problems of that sort, he shall consult books, and review his communication skills with some consultant.

Market value of a domain name in the domainer's market is of course not the same like non-hyphenated. But domainer's market is not people's market. Selling names between each other does make a market, but does not make a business out of the domain's services and products. Finally, you can sell air, and compete with other air sellers and you will create a market and different prices.

Our business, with domain included, with continuance of clients relations, is at least 1,5M worth for the business in a similar or same branch. And I cannot compare developed business with non-developed domainers' domains.

Tried to spell to people, Dot Tel? You will get number of people asking you back questions in that moment, or you will get some people asking "Dot Com"? because when you tell them: domain dot tel, they might still ask for dot com, it all depends of persons and situations.

But we are not 1 year old babies, learning to speak, but grown ups, and everyone shall be able to spell simple letters, dots and hyphens.

dottel03-19-2010 11:44 AM




Quote:



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7097)
I know what is being "spoken around". But I had never a problem telling verbally our domain names; our agents had no problem telling verbally our domain names and I had never heard of client complaining due to domain name. That is my life, I should have know that within 10 years, at least.


[size]
It's not about you or your company... It's about what majority are experiencing in real life and what they are suggesting.

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7097)
If you don't have problems telling people the word "dot" between domain and com, you will not have a problem telling people about your hyphenated domain. If someone has problems of that sort, he shall consult books, and review his communication skills with some consultant.


[size]
It's not about just telling it's about average joe understanding...


Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7097)
If someone has problems of that sort, he shall consult books, and review his communication skills with some consultant.


[size]
Do you now advise others (domain/site owners) to have an attitude of telling ("hey cant you understand what I am saying? you @##, go review your communication skills with some consultant" :D) their customers/end-users when they can't get it right (hyphen domains)?



Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7097)
Market value of a domain name in the domainer's market is of course not the same like non-hyphenated. But domainer's market is not people's market. Selling names between each other does make a market, but does not make a business out of the domain's services and products. Finally, you can sell air, and compete with other air sellers and you will create a market and different prices.


[size]
If a person has MortgageRefinancing.com and could not develope it due to some xyz reasons (lack of capital, skills, interest or whatever)
If he wants to sell the domain he will get more money than a person selling his domain Mortgage-Refinancing.com

Yes you can sell air and dirt but it's about what and how majority of the people finding it in real life and they have some issues in reality.

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7097)
Our business, with domain included, with continuance of clients relations, is at least 1,5M worth for the business in a similar or same branch. And I cannot compare developed business with non-developed domainers' domains.


[size]
You cannot compare two different industries, do you?
The point is to have more advantages (more chances of getting profits in different scenarios) either the owner of the site get it right in development or when he wants to sell his non-developed domains...

So unlike non-hyphen domains, hyphen domains may get higher sale price ONLY when they are developed and successful in it's niche.

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7097)
Tried to spell to people, Dot Tel? You will get number of people asking you back questions in that moment, or you will get some people asking "Dot Com"? because when you tell them: domain dot tel, they might still ask for dot com, it all depends of persons and situations.


[size]
Dot Tel? ofcourse because it's new
Dot com? nope not atleast from the last 5 years, earlier to that? yes there were few who asked questions what it is and stuff..
But for hyphen domains? Oh Yeah there are many many people yet uncomfortable with "-" for different reasons. but yes it may not be the same after some years? but as of today there are some still some concerns with hyphen domains.





Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7097)
But we are not 1 year old babies, learning to speak, but grown ups, and everyone shall be able to spell simple letters, dots and hyphens.


[size]
No one says everyone has the problem but in general there are concerns one has to consider when registering a domain name...

The bottom line is purchase both domains if you are serious about your business, but make sure you develope and promote well[/size]

JLouisBiz03-19-2010 12:27 PM




Thank you, I am truly open for exchange of opinions on this matter.

Quote:



Originally Posted by dottel (Post 7103)
It's not about you or your company... It's about what majority are experiencing in real life and what they are suggesting.


[size]
Majority may suggest it. But it is not a playing factor for doing business. I will never get majority as client, and most important factor are clients coming based on demonstration of competence. 

Quote:
[/size]



It's not about just telling it's about average joe understanding...


[size]
If the average Joe is hard to grasp: "orange-business.com" but he can grasp "orangebusiness.com" -- then he is not an average but a person with under developed language skills. Even children of 8 years understand it. 

Further, if anyone builds domain business on the domain with hyphen, that has a reason for readability and acceptance by search engines which are not named "Google". Our developed domains show as #1 on Yahoo, but on page #1, not number #1 on Google. And many people come from Yahoo. We don't pay for expensive advertising, while competitors pay up to few thousand dollars per month. I have observed number of non-hyphenated domains on Yahoo being second to hyphenated -- but that is not a research, just observation.

Iif domain name holder have a problem telling: e.g. "orange hyphen business dot com" in his language, than he shall certainly consider reviewing basic books from the first elementary school. If anyone is not able to spell his domain, he has literacy problems.

Now, let us come back to that example of orange-business.com, which is not mine. Orange Business is a multinational, telecommunication company, as I know them, and I am sure their employees never make a mistake in spelling out their domain names. What illiterate employee would some director of their business employ?

Or shall we start claiming that his domain: http://www.business-standard.com is lesser successful due to hyphen? Do you think employees have trouble spelling out domain name? Directly in person, by phone, in marketing? I don't.

I think, both directors, of both above mentioned companies, would say about this discussion, hyphen or not hyphen: NONSENSE!

Quote:
[/size]



If a person has MortgageRefinancing.com and could not develope it due to some xyz reasons (lack of capital, skills, interest or whatever)
If he wants to sell the domain he will get more money than a person selling his domain Mortgage-Refinancing.com


[size]
I assume that is true, because domainers' market is such. They sell between each other names and there values the opinion that non-hyphenated domain is better. Now, to tell to domainer: "You will easier sell non-hyphenated domain", that is absolutely OK. But to spread out that statement to business people is spreading out a flat lie without any grounds. 

Quote:
[/size]



Yes you can sell air and dirt but it's about what and how majority of the people finding it in real life and they have some issues in reality.


[size]
Now, Hotel-Reservation.com sold for US $209,000. That further disputes even the fact that one cannot earn money as domainer on hyphenated domains. Silly.

Domains have their values, and value for the sale is not made up by domainer only, but also by the end user who has the market for his products and services.

You see, the most reasonable thing to do, when using domain with 2 and more words, is to register BOTH, hyphenated and non-hyphenated. Too many people make that mistake and get only one, later they cry because competitor is there too, with same or almost same domain. That is common-sense, if you ask-me. 

I can also imagine, that many domainers invest a lot of money in domains, and investing in both, hyphenated and non hyphenated is a double investment, for many not easy to afford. So, they play on non hyphenated domains, and their own excuses and justifications, they spread out on Internet, having true business people "forget" in the first instance about hyphenated domain, and in few years have them sorry for making a mistake. That is not a business advice, that is business damage. True business advice is more expensive then just another DotSauce.Com blog advice, where beside truly business oriented people, amateurs leave out range of comments, "confirming" his so much wrong advice.

Quote:
[/size]



So unlike non-hyphen domains, hyphen domains may get higher sale price ONLY when they are developed and successful in it's niche.


[size]
I don't think that is true, and facts are above, see hotel-reservation.com -- and I don't think their employees or people agree with it. 

For a true business, one has to watch carefully the facts and inspect the information given, especially when information is given by someone selling non-hyphenated domains.
[/size]
avatar
Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Join date : 2014-12-30
Posts : 2903 Points : 8908
Reputation : 0
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Choice of domain names

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 1:17 pm

dottel03-19-2010 12:59 PM




Quote:



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7104)
Thank you, I am truly open for exchange of opinions on this matter.


[size]
You are welcome

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7104)
Majority may suggest it. But it is not a playing factor for doing business.


[size]
There are some concerns with hyphen domains

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7104)
If the average Joe is hard to grasp: "orange-business.com" but he can grasp "orangebusiness.com" -- then he is not an average but a person with under developed language skills. Even children of 8 years understand it.


[size]
How many references could you give in support of this?
Silly I can point you to hundreds on instances where people said “No to hyphen domains”


Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7104)
Iif domain name holder have a problem telling: e.g. "orange hyphen business dot com" in his language, than he shall certainly consider reviewing basic books from the first elementary school. If anyone is not able to spell his domain, he has literacy problems.


[size]
It is evident that you miss the point.
As I said earlier it’s not just how one spells out its even how one understand it..

Example:
When you talk about a domain name people regularly exclude the hyphen from their sentence. For example they might say ‘Eldwich Park Football Club.co.uk’, however; unfortunately that is not my domain! I would require people to actually say ‘Eldwich hyphen Park hyphen Football hyphen Club.co.uk’ – which I am sure we all agree is a bit of a mouthful!
(Source: UKbusinessforums.co.uk blog entry)


Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7104)
Now, let us come back to that example of orange-business.com, which is not mine. Orange Business is a multinational, telecommunication company, as I know them, and I am sure their employees never make a mistake in spelling out their domain names. What illiterate employee would some director of their business employ?

Or shall we start claiming that his domain: http://www.business-standard.com is lesser successful due to hyphen? Do you think employees have trouble spelling out domain name? Directly in person, by phone, in marketing? I don't.

I think, both directors, of both above mentioned companies, would say about this discussion, hyphen or not hyphen:NONSENSE!



[size]
I do not know what they would have to say but I can give you what the other experienced and well know has to say about the hyphen domains “JUST AVOID THEM”
http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-ch...ht-domain-name (now don’t start over saying Randfish is some new in the industry or not very successful :D)

By the way as I have clearly said “Success depends on individuals as how they develop and promote but then one cannot just rule-out the issues a hyphen domain has”

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7104)
I assume that is true, because domainers' market is such. They sell between each other names and there values the opinion that non-hyphenated domain is better. Now, to tell to domainer: "You will easier sell non-hyphenated domain", that is absolutely OK. But to spread out that statement to business people is spreading out a flat lie without any grounds.


[size]
The discussion is about choosing a domain name so one has to consider the issues with the hyphen domain. 

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7104)
Now, Hotel-Reservation.com sold for US $209,000. That further disputes even the fact that one cannot earn money as domainer on hyphenated domains. Silly.


[size]
Ha ha nice try… so how many of these hyphen domains ever sold for $$$$$$?
The ratio is definitely low when compared to non-hyphen domains

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7104)
Domains have their values, and value for the sale is not made up by domainer only, but also by the end user who has the market for his products and services.


[size]
And the end user first choice would be non-hyphen domains

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7104)
You see, the most reasonable thing to do, when using domain with 2 and more words, is to register BOTH, hyphenated and non-hyphenated. Too many people make that mistake and get only one, later they cry because competitor is there too, with same or almost same domain. That is common-sense, if you ask-me.


[size]
I have already said “If you are serious about business buy both” 
You miss my point again:)[/size]

dottel03-19-2010 01:00 PM




Quote:



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7104)
I can also imagine, that many domainers invest a lot of money in domains, and investing in both, hyphenated and non hyphenated is a double investment, for many not easy to afford. So, they play on non hyphenated domains, and their own excuses and justifications, they spread out on Internet, having true business people "forget" in the first instance about hyphenated domain, and in few years have them sorry for making a mistake. That is not a business advice, that is business damage. True business advice is more expensive then just another DotSauce.Com blog advice, where beside truly business oriented people, amateurs leave out range of comments, "confirming" his so much wrong advice.


[size]
The domainers is just one among many who say “Avoid hyphen domains” unless they have no choice left or want to protect from competitors…

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7104)
For a true business, one has to watch carefully the facts and inspect the information given, especially when information is given by someone selling non-hyphenated domains.


[size]
Now who is selling the non-hyphen domains? Hehe
Randfish? http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-ch...ht-domain-name[/size]

JLouisBiz03-19-2010 02:15 PM




You asked for references, and I was telling you, one is illiterate if one has troubles telling someone his hyphenated domain name. Such employee or person will cause various other troubles as well, as illiterate people will not be able to spell single letters as well. They will cause trouble in administration anyway. 

You actually got enough true references, such as orange business, business standard and hotel reservation. Those companies are very large. That is true example of nonsense how hyphenated domains don't give values. 

I have on numerous business cards, postcards, in letters, various hyphenated domains. Most of all, our business is very dynamic, we have consulting meetings in various hotels in various countries. Often we go to a meeting and find our client sitting in the foyer with bunch of documents he/she printed from our website, and hyphenated domain. 

Let us take that example: DotSauce.Com (BTW, he will never get the hyphenated one). Dot is a short word and DotSauce.Com is advertised as DOTSAUCE, not Dot Sauce. He is creating a one word, DOTSAUCE, because he does not want people to remember anything else but DOTSAUCE. He does not want to separate words "Dot Sauce" in advertising as he binds words to the domain. He is providing Internet only content for people on Internet.

My Google Keyword Tool tells me: DotSauce.Com was better to be named DomainNames.Com. Further, the word "dotsauce" is not being searched at all by my report, but "dot sauce" -- 480 times per month.

And he would be better with: SellingDomainNames.Com or DomainNames.Com or hyphenated versions.

As that is how people find him, "domain names", "domain name sales", "selling domain names", such are words and that is his advertising. 

And in the same manner, within Internet, hyphenated domains work, by keywords, by people searching for them. 

How about reading common sense by this guy:
http://www.v7n.com/keyword-descriptive-domains-2.php

Domainers -- are people who sell and buy domains as business. And they usually concentrate their efforts in just that. And often they forget that real world exists and facts are not to be taken from Internet only, but from the real world.

Bunch of Secretary of States websites are are hard to spell, hard to remember: soswy.state.wy.us and people will still not miss them in search nor will they miss to write it correctly.

Average person, your average Joe, is literate enough to understand your domain name, to write it down, to use it and promote it. If he is not enough smart for that, well, you may consider using other people then.

To say "your hyphenated domain absorbs" is just plain simply wrong and unprofessional. And that is the talk you can find on Internet, from the digital mouth of self proclaimed "domainers". Google and find it. I bet that many have side businesses, as domains can struggle as hell.

I can vouch for my experience. In 1995, we have promoted our websites hosted on Geocities, and with that long URL, I had no problems in gaining new clients. We used single word domains as well, and we had no problems getting clients. But the real business came by the usage of 2 word domains, and we used hyphens, and business and new clients were rolling. It was clear from the domain what is it about, it was readable and did not require 1-3 seconds guess of whatdoesthismean?!

That is true-short-real-life-story. No interruptions, no complaints, no problems, no spelling problems, ZERO people asking back questions such as "hyphen", that is my experience. 

If I would not have the experience and would read the article, maybe I would assume it is true.

But with all that, I know it is not true, and hyphenated domains are excellent, as they are readable and fit into the proper communication better then non-hyphenated.

Imagine a letter head: businessstandard.com -- looks unprofessional, while business-standard.com truly shows what it is without thinking, on the letter head.

dottel03-19-2010 04:48 PM




Quote:



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7108)
You asked for references, and I was telling you, one is illiterate if one has troubles telling someone his hyphenated domain name. Such employee or person will cause various other troubles as well, as illiterate people will not be able to spell single letters as well. They will cause trouble in administration anyway.


[size]
So you saying people like Randfish are illiterate as they say to “Avoid hyphen domains”?

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7108)
I have on numerous business cards, postcards, in letters, various hyphenated domains. Most of all, our business is very dynamic, we have consulting meetings in various hotels in various countries. Often we go to a meeting and find our client sitting in the foyer with bunch of documents he/she printed from our website, and hyphenated domain.


[size]
In my 10+ years of experience, I have never seen a client or corporate partners ever proposing hyphen domains (30000+ employees, 140 locations in 18+ countries, 3+ billion turnover @2007)

Many have accepted that they only buy hyphen domains when there is no other alternative or to protect from competitors.

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7108)
My Google Keyword Tool tells me: DotSauce.Com was better to be named DomainNames.Com. Further, the word "dotsauce" is not being searched at all by my report, but "dot sauce" -- 480 times per month.


[size]
Keyword based domain names are a complete different subject.

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7108)
And he would be better with: SellingDomainNames.Com or DomainNames.Com or hyphenated versions.


[size]
May be you should contact him to offer your services


Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7108)
Domainers -- are people who sell and buy domains as business. And they usually concentrate their efforts in just that. And often they forget that real world exists and facts are not to be taken from Internet only, but from the real world.


[size]
Randfish is not a domainer and there are many who would say to avoid if you could source a non-hyphen domain.

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7108)
Average person, your average Joe, is literate enough to understand your domain name, to write it down, to use it and promote it. If he is not enough smart for that, well, you may consider using other people then.


[size]
Lol now you suggest changing the target audience, if they can’t get the domain name?





Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7108)
To say "your hyphenated domain absorbs" is just plain simply wrong and unprofessional. And that is the talk you can find on Internet, from the digital mouth of self proclaimed "domainers". Google and find it. I bet that many have side businesses, as domains can struggle as hell.


[size]
The references I gave or have are not all from domainers and the suggestions are based on their experience and real world.


Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7108)
I can vouch for my experience. In 1995, we have promoted our websites hosted on Geocities, and with that long URL, I had no problems in gaining new clients.


[size]

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7108)
If I would not have the experience and would read the article, maybe I would assume it is true.


[size]
If I would not have the experience then I would have not even bothered to write something here…

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7108)
But with all that, I know it is not true, and hyphenated domains are excellent, as they are readable and fit into the proper communication better then non-hyphenated.


[size]
When registering a domain it’s very important to consider the concerns around this.

Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7108)
Imagine a letter head: businessstandard.com -- looks unprofessional, while business-standard.com truly shows what it is without thinking, on the letter head.


[size]
He he BusinessStandard.com looks, sounds, works both offline and on-line excellently (assuming developed and promoted well).

As I said earlier, success depends on the individuals and not hyphen or non-hyphens but one should consider the concerns around the hyphen domains when registering a domain name.[/size]

JLouisBiz03-19-2010 06:02 PM




I don't say about "promoters", as "promoters" say that mentioning hyphen domains is harder, it is hard as mentioning dots or spelling out letters. Such claims are unfounded. 

Person who does not understand hyphen between words is surely a person with problems in his own language. Hyphen exists in various languages. I speak four languages, and have never had a problem to mention hyphen, nor I have ever heard of someone who did not understand me. Probably, because I don't associate with such people. 

But if you run around a kindergarten and try to mention children to write down your domain name, you will have problems, as children are not grown ups. So for them don't even make domains, make them color books. 

Statement is completely unfounded. We work with 3 major hyphen based domains, and in various countries we have simply all the monopoly on Internet, and with tens of thousands of clients, until you mentioned it, we had never any problems with hyphen based domains. Only benefits.

I don't have a clue actually how you base your statements. Just by reading what others are saying? 
I am observing our life and business, never had problems, and we will certainly not switch to non-hyphen domain, that would be silly. We develop one by one many domains, there are few hundreds of them plus 150+ TEL domains, and all contribute to almost-free advertising to bring new clients interested in our services.

When we speak about branding, trademarks, it is always better to have one word trademarks, that is my opinion, but many are using phrases as trademarks as well, successfully. That is different story.

The value of domain between domainers is not my concern. I have seen numerous websites, including DotSauce.Com which spread out short-sighted views, actually personal views, not based on any true research or survey.

We agree both that domains depend of the domain owner.

Only you see concerns, but there is no impact of those concerns. Just because you "heard", you have to concern? My God, what then all shall I be concerned of, I have heard stuff and stuff.

Use your own eyes. BusinessStandard.Com intentionally redirects to Business-Standard.Com and that has a reason. If someone is registering 2 words domains, not made up words, like DotSauce.Com because those are 2 words, but give impression of one word, and is being advertised in that manner -- but when you register businessstandard.com you shall register business-standard.com as well. And if one is missing, you are taking the one which is free. 

If someone has the other, you can still build on the domain and become more successful, it takes few months, but with right tools and knowledge and content, you can bring it to become better.

We vouch for better readability.

You can see: whorepresents.com therapistfinder.com expertsexchange.com stealthisemail.com --- the Wikipedia examples of what happens by registering wrong names.

dialaroom03-19-2010 06:38 PM




The one thing I don't understand about the whole hyphen thing is, if they are so pointless why do the people who think so, reccomend that you buy both hyphenated and unhyphenated versions of your domain name. Also why do I find it hard to type the word unhyphenated without a hyphen? Strange.

JLouisBiz03-19-2010 07:08 PM




My opinion is not opinion of the "majority" of "experts". I speak for what I know it works, and the opinion in the domainer world has been changing throughout those years, and our business has been growing. We use hyphenated domains since years, and there was none case of concern, misunderstanding or anything being hard about it. 

For ranking, dashes are best, because many are free and people don't think about the available values.

Cees03-19-2010 08:46 PM




Hi fella's,
Nice discussion, I'm not going to add anything other than to say,that in the end like most trade-able (excuse the hyphen) items, the market shall decide what it's worth.

Cheers

dottel03-20-2010 08:32 PM




Quote:



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7123)
I don't have a clue actually how you base your statements. Just by reading what others are saying? 
I am observing our life and business, never had problems, and we will certainly not switch to non-hyphen domain, that would be silly. We develop one by one many domains, there are few hundreds of them plus 150+ TEL domains, and all contribute to almost-free advertising to bring new clients interested in our services.



[size]
It's pity to know that you can't get the point when someone give a reference.
Giving references does not necessarily mean that I am arguing just based on those references... 
I have clearly mentioned the company size I am involved in, personal experience, references and also quoted the references...If you still want to reflect that others are just making a point on random references then no one can help it.


Quote:
[/size]



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7123)

Use your own eyes. BusinessStandard.Com intentionally redirects to Business-Standard.Com and that has a reason.



[size]
Yeah use your eyes
Business-Standard.com is Created: 1996-04-24
BusinessStandard.com is Created: 1999-08-06

It is obvious that the new domain name might be more appealing to be redirected to the already existing domain that is established (both in terms of on-line and offline)

I might not be 100% correct to say that this is the only reason but this could be the obvious reason[/size]

dottel03-20-2010 08:41 PM




Quote:



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7127)
For ranking, dashes are best, because many are free and people don't think about the available values.


[size]
My Experience speaks nothing is guaranteed unless you do it right[/size]

JLouisBiz03-20-2010 08:41 PM




Sure. I know what people speak. And that is piece of information, advice: don't use hyphenated domains.

For domainers it is not good, they sell it harder.

But for my business, it really does not matter. I had zero disadvantages, and too many benefits. Don't think I promote that people shall take hyphenated domains, they do what they do.

This is only personal opinion resulting out of the experience of years of usage of hyphenated domains.

JLouisBiz03-20-2010 09:12 PM




Now with your car icon, I think "DOTTEL" could be next car brand.
avatar
Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Join date : 2014-12-30
Posts : 2903 Points : 8908
Reputation : 0
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Choice of domain names

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 1:18 pm

dottel03-20-2010 09:44 PM




Quote:



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7192)
Now with your car icon, I think "DOTTEL" could be next car brand.


[size]
so whats your point?
:D[/size]

JLouisBiz03-20-2010 11:17 PM




One is sure, DOTTEL X6 sounds better than DOT-TEL X-6

dotteler03-21-2010 05:49 PM




I think the pronunciation can be different with a hyphen. dottel sounds like bottle, while dot-tel sounds like dot tell.
It's how you read (sound) the name.

JLouisBiz03-21-2010 06:43 PM




OK, let me have few dottel of beer, then I come back.

telrific03-22-2010 01:14 AM




Quote:



Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7094)
Our hyphenated domains rank always better than our same non-hyphenated domains, and better then of competitors with similar domains, similar words, hyphenated domains. Since 2002, our hyphenated domains are bringing us true income, enough for life and pleasure.


[size]
Good to see common sense and good, solid thinking showing results.

:D[/size]

pink04-04-2010 03:35 PM




Quote:



Originally Posted by dottel (Post 7188)
My Experience speaks nothing is guaranteed unless you do it right


[size]
spot on


:D[/size]

maximka04-21-2010 05:10 PM




Google's Adsense and click's value
 
I find few TELs, looking as, for example: xxxxxx-xxxxx.tel - and with these (by AdWords Tool) parameters:

1. monthly searches - 1,800,000 and click's value 5$; 
2. monthly searches - 300,000 and click's value 12$.

The question: what does it means that click's value? Do owner of such TEL will receive such money (5$ or 12$) if he will place there Google's Adsense and somebody will make a click on it?

Sponsored content

Re: Choice of domain names

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:43 am