WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

.tel Umbrellas Ryder Cup

Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.tel Umbrellas Ryder Cup

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 2:02 pm

your-tel10-02-2010 03:31 PM

.tel Umbrellas Ryder Cup

Telnic should have been at the Celtic Manor Resort yesterday for the Ryder Cup, giving away free .tel umbrellas. A fantastic opportunity for worldwide exposure to over 180 different countries.

dotteler10-02-2010 05:18 PM

i still think my 'million t-shirt giveaway' to the first 1,000,000 registered .tels would have gone a long way....

tindaya10-02-2010 06:01 PM

Today more than 500 domains sells, yerterday more than 500 sells, before yesterday more than 300 ...
I thing now it´s beginning the future.

alquileres salud

can10-02-2010 06:12 PM

I am glad to find a big show in china several days ago.
Many powerful people in web industry take part in.

Cees10-02-2010 08:47 PM

Hi can,
Are you able to elaborate a little.

Tindaya, 
Yes the last few days have appeared to be positive, hopefully we have reached the bottom and are on the way up, but don't break open the Champagne yet.

dottel.net10-02-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 11099)
Tindaya, 
Yes the last few days have appeared to be positive, hopefully we have reached the bottom and are on the way up, but don't break open the Champagne yet.

[size]

Tel IDN reg's have broken the 6k mark... see http://DotTel.net[/size]

boracay.tel10-03-2010 02:31 PM

http://www.macrumors.com/

Take a look at the forum numbers. The members are half a million. Ours are half a thousand.
Telnic are just not interested in aligning with apple. What gives. 2 years 2 late. Where's the attention to apple mobile devices.

Justin Hayward10-03-2010 05:36 PM

Boracay I'm not sure what you are saying here? Are you saying that you should compare forum usage to a forum that started in 2000 based around a company that started in 1976? Or are you saying that you don't believe that with My.tel - with the ability to edit your .tel on your iPod/iPhone - and Superbook, which enables one-click saving of .tel contact information on an Apple device, and our attendance at MacWorld in San Francisco this year, not withstanding other conversations ongoing with Apple, that we're doing enough to align ourselves with Apple mobile devices?

Believe me, if we could snap our fingers...

boracay.tel10-03-2010 08:17 PM

Justin, that graph shows just how dramatically in the last 2-3 years the apple camp has grown. apple owned mobile devices are simply just off the charts. websites are displaying/redirecting/catering to that specific user base. It's not good enough to deliver a .tel in text to that user base, and telnic needs to do more. 

It's always great to hear what telnic are doing behind the scenes, and it's fantastic news to know that there are discussions ongoing with apple.

Justin Hayward10-03-2010 08:24 PM

Indeed. And as I say, Apple was incorporated in 1976. So you're happy that the user base has suddenly grown in the past 2-3 years? Are you saying that you're expecting us to do in 18 months what Apple has taken 30 years to do?

Again, I know everyone has high expectations and we all want .tel to succeed, so give us a little perspective and recognition that working with a company that is 34 years old takes time, effort and support - all of which we are putting in to this.

Thanks,

Justin

boracay.tel10-03-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Hayward (Post 11108)
So you're happy that the user base has suddenly grown in the past 2-3 years? Are you saying that you're expecting us to do in 18 months what Apple has taken 30 years to do?

[size]
I'm pointing to the mobile space of the last 2-3 years. apple joined it just before you guys, and is currently king, so let's get .tel looking like it's all aboard for the ride[/size]

Justin Hayward10-03-2010 08:43 PM

Newton? Just saying

We're on it Boracay.

Cees10-03-2010 09:19 PM

This is not about Apple, however it's worth knowing as it may help with perspective.
As a long time Apple (Mac since 1986) user, I would have to say do keep perspective, the general and in particular the business world used to rubbish Apple at every turn, they've endured a lot of peaks & troughs, going within a hairs breadth of going under, trading as low as $6 to $282 now, you needed really big cojones to buy Apple shares in the mid 90's, I decided to back Apple by buying a new Mac instead, knowing! Apple was real close to going under, see some excerpts below.

"Apple Computer was the walking dead. In the mid 1990’s, there was no life left in the company that started the personal computer revolution."

"Popular perception was that even if Steve Jobs changed his name to Dr. Frankenstein, there would be no way to breathe life back into this company. Epitaphs were already being written:"

BusinessWeek 16 Oct 1995
“Whether they stand alone or are acquired, Apple as we know it is cooked. It’s so classic. It’s so sad.

”
Forrester Research 25 Jan 1996
“One day Apple was a major technology company with assets to make any self respecting techno-conglomerate salivate. The next day Apple was a chaotic mess without a strategic vision and certainly no future.”

Time Magazine 5 Feb 1996 
“By the time you read this story, the quirky cult company…will end its wild ride as an independent enterprise.”

Fortune 19 Feb 1996
“There was so much magic in Apple Computer in the early ’80s that it is hard to believe that it may fade away. Apple went from hip to has-been in just 19 years.”

BusinessWeek 25 Feb 1996
“The NeXT purchase is too little too late. Apple is already dead.”
Nathan Myhrvold, CTO Microsoft June 1997
“Admit it. You’re out of the hardware game.”

Wired June 1997
“I’d shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.”
Michael Dell 6 Oct 1997

Members etc, I'm sorry about the very long diatribe, but if your going to compare Apple's?

Justin Hayward10-03-2010 09:24 PM

Very good points Cees.

boracay.tel10-03-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Hayward (Post 11112)
Very good points Cees.

[size]
From that site...

"Our growth also reflects Apple's growth, with its expansion into new business areas, the rising number of Apple customers, and the attention focused on Apple by the press and the public in general, both in the U.S. and internationally"

Who knows, the numbers are huge right now, I'm not betting against that apple run. The users are/aren't toting nokia? How long ago was that. Ok. I'm done[/size]

Cees10-03-2010 11:26 PM

Boracay.tel
I feel with your and other's continued support we will get there, once critical mass is reached. 
Anyway I love your efforts.
Cheers

boracay.tel10-03-2010 11:43 PM

I'm hanging in there. Just.
Cheers Cees

Anyway here's some stats to keep watch for too. .tel going the right way, .mobi looking flat. .asia it's all over
.co is interesting in that it's 2nd month out of the barrier did NOT add as many as .tel did in it's 2nd month
http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2010.php

Cees10-04-2010 01:25 AM

Keep the faith boracay.tel

Thanks for that interesting info.
Cheers

mikeseaton10-04-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 11116)
Anyway here's some stats to keep watch for too. .tel going the right way, .mobi looking flat. .asia it's all over
.co is interesting in that it's 2nd month out of the barrier did NOT add as many as .tel did in it's 2nd month

[size]
Hi Boracay - thanks for the link - this is very useful information for those who have invested in different domain name extensions.

Mike Seaton[/size]

tindaya10-04-2010 04:54 PM

I began to ear VoIP 10 years ago. Now, in this moment, I´m sure that in few years all will be ToIP. 10 years later.
I think, the domain .tel, it´s no easy. It´s different to the rest, and must be different, because in the diffence will be the success in the future.
Another thing it´s facebook, but many thinks that grow very quick, also go down very quick. 
The best, it´s try to do the correct thinks. Little by little.

libros arte
Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Re: .tel Umbrellas Ryder Cup

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 2:02 pm

smart10-04-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tindaya (Post 11097)
Today more than 500 domains sells, yerterday more than 500 sells, before yesterday more than 300 ...
I thing now it´s beginning the future.

alquileres salud

[size]

Tindaya:

You've lost me, what exactly are you referring to by the domain sells here ? are you talking about new registrations ?

If so, would be worthwhile comparing this with the drops too to get the full picture,

Believe we netted just around 1500 more domains this month which is positive news, though i don't think it will be easy to sustain this trend with the majority tel domains being blank .. 

Many .com and .net blank domain holders are happy to sit on their domains forever as revenue earned through people landing on their parked pages pay for the renewal costs...not the same story for .tel though., ,

Think its also safe to believe the fact that as .tel is primarily a contact book technology will create a much lower celing for the number domains to be registered going forward.

i.e you can register a 5 word .com and make full use for it, not so straightforward with .tel[/size]

mikeseaton10-04-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smart (Post 11128)
Many .com and .net blank domain holders are happy to sit on their domains forever as revenue earned through people landing on their parked pages pay for the renewal costs...not the same story for .tel though., ,

[size]
Very true - it's fairly easy to make 10 bucks a year from a Dot Com parked domain and so cover the renewal costs while you develop a site for it or wait for a buyer.

What would reduce the number of Dot Tel drops IMO is a facility (activated by an option in the Control Panel) which generated a Dot Tel parked page instantly that was monetised by the owners AdSense pub-id entered in the control panel.

For owners of multiple Dot Tels it is impractical to develop more than a few at any one time so a parked page style for undeveloped domains would look a lot better than what we have currently (usually just a link to the registrar's site).

Mike Seaton[/size]

dottel10-05-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 11116)

[size]
.co is really interesting in terms of the way people are buying it (both new regs and aftermarket sales).

have not researched much but one of my friend said that It is backed by good PR company..[/size]

Simon G10-05-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Very true - it's fairly easy to make 10 bucks a year from a Dot Com parked domain and so cover the renewal costs while you develop a site for it or wait for a buyer.

What would reduce the number of Dot Tel drops IMO is a facility (activated by an option in the Control Panel) which generated a Dot Tel parked page instantly that was monetised by the owners AdSense pub-id entered in the control panel.

For owners of multiple Dot Tels it is impractical to develop more than a few at any one time so a parked page style for undeveloped domains would look a lot better than what we have currently (usually just a link to the registrar's site).

[size]

You guys must have some alright .com domains and use a fair parking company, 

However while I agree .tel drops would perhaps be lowered if a parked page was created automatically. Should we not be looking at what is most beneficial to this extension. Automatic parking pages of links/adsense will not increase the end user adoption which is what is critical to this extension. Infact imho the more domains that are dropped the better chance there is of someone purchasing them to make them useful to themselves and .tel.[/size]

mikeseaton10-05-2010 11:13 PM

Parked Dot Tel Pages & RSS Feeds

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 11138)
You guys must have some alright .com domains and use a fair parking company, 

However while I agree .tel drops would perhaps be lowered if a parked page was created automatically. Should we not be looking at what is most beneficial to this extension. Automatic parking pages of links/adsense will not increase the end user adoption which is what is critical to this extension. Infact imho the more domains that are dropped the better chance there is of someone purchasing them to make them useful to themselves and .tel.

[size]
What can be off-putting to surfers visiting Dot Tels is the sheer volume of them that have not yet been populated simply because it is so time-consuming to populate them manually.

A page full of automatically generated relevant content is surely better for a visitor than just a single link to the domain registrar - or in some cases a recursive link back to the domain itself.

None of this would be complex for Telnic to offer - for example Mark Kolb has already generated RSS feeds going to Dot Tels.

If we were allowed to input the URL of an RSS feed into the control panel this could be used to generate a constantly changing set of entries in the "Parked" Dot Tel - these entries could be perhaps amazon/ebay sales items, latest sports results, hot breaking news etc. Add AdSense ads on the right-hand side and you would have a positive net revenue generator in no time - search engines love constantly changing content of the type that RSS feeds generate.

Do not underestimate the number of domain investors currently supporting Dot Tel domains - if they were to lose interest the resultant drops would be immense.

I personally believe very much in Dot Tel and its future and don't want to see others giving up on it due to lack of revenue-building opportunities.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)10-06-2010 12:39 AM

This topic has moved away from the original topic but interesting commentary has evolved.

Yes - unpopulated sites (for any new TLD eg dot co even) are to be avoided. 
Yes - putting some content is better than having an empty site.
Yes - populating Tels for revenue generation is difficult without relevant content. 

Tels were not necessarily designed with revenue generation in mind, but there are tools using RSS and Twitter feeds that can create related content automatically. But this is generally not enough for sustained revenue. You also need links from other sites. So as long as you have sufficient links to your relevant content, you should get traffic and thus some revenue. Your site should be populated to provide the visitor with a decent experience to hold their attention and to attract search engines.

As far as RSS feeds doing this dynamically, I doubt this will ever materialize. The problem with dynamic, automated feeds is that they cost CPU cycles repetitively. On any hosted website, this burden is handled by the hosting server. Telnic, on the other hand I think has less than a dozen global servers serving 250,000 sites. Automatically serving RSS feeds via Telnic servers would dramatically decrease response for all sites while the CPU is busy waiting for data to be feed and converted. This is a job best left to periodic "cron" jobs to feed your tels. However, it is technically feasible for a Telnic site to signal to its owner that a visit has occur and thus, for the next visit, cause a new RSS feed to update itself. But this still requires an external service to rewrite your site with fresh data.

An "unparking" service will eventually show up. With hundreds of domains, I don't think I have any unpopulated (parked) sites. I've already done a bit of this myself between initially populating domains with content, to using RSS and Twitter feeds to keep some fresh daily. 

Mark

mikeseaton10-06-2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 11142)
This is a job best left to periodic "cron" jobs to feed your tels. However, it is technically feasible for a Telnic site to signal to its owner that a visit has occur and thus, for the next visit, cause a new RSS feed to update itself. But this still requires an external service to rewrite your site with fresh data.

[size]
That would be a neat way of producing dynamically updated content which is only as old as the time gap between visits to your site.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:47 am