WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Are we there yet?

Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Are we there yet?

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 4:04 pm

Bunjie01-15-2011 01:34 AM

Are we there yet?

Sure it's like having a kid in the back seat asking 'are we there yet?' but I'd like to ask what deadline you have on your next development cycle?

For bug fixes? or for roadmap updates?

http://telnic.org/tools-roadmap.html

I am being extremely patient, and I don't mind waiting it would just be nice to know the sun is not setting and is rising in the distance.

Or have you updated for bug fixes and we've not noticed?

And what promotion work are you doing or planning to do? trade shows? or Tv shows? for 2011.

It's kinda funny because it feels like you've gone off the map, if I'm not following your twitter idk it's a bit eerily quiet.

Do you have a Facebook page? I don't see it in search.

dialaroom01-15-2011 11:16 AM

Agree with Bunjie, would nice thave an updated blog, forum post etc. on where telnic see things going in 2011 - re-kindle the flame a bit. Am sure your all working hard on promoting and developing .tel.

Just a few crumbs, so we can have a bit of a rant and rave and renew the momentum a bit. My dog loves his new collar, perhaps I'll see if Telpets.tel is available, could be a winner.

GoBigCity01-17-2011 05:39 PM

You beat me to the punch. I was getting the itch to ask the same question. My problem is that I really believe in the concept but I am not very good with the "trus us, be patient" strategy. We are coming up to a big renewal period and I am HOPING to hear something that makes me renew my sites. I got overly carried away in the beginning and with no new motivation, I will have a hard time convincing my wife that this is a good idea. 

Come on guys, hook us up with some insights. Give us that little bit of info that makes us ponder the massive potential. Something PLEASE.

dotteler01-17-2011 05:54 PM

I'm going to push development of telayar. I think if you can buy your address within AR (augmented reality) browsers which would then offer click to connect people would see .tel in a whole different light.
A 'do it yourself' publishing platform that is geo enabled and indicated within AR browsers.. I think it's great. I haven't have much of any feedback here, however, from previous mentions about it, but I'm still pursuing myself.

Aled01-18-2011 03:54 PM

Thank you for your comments everyone. To try and make the development roadmap more transparent, we’ve just updated it to show the anticipated quarter that each item will be released in (http://telnic.org/tools-roadmap.html). These dates are obviously subject to change as some items, especially those planned for later in the year can be repositioned in the development roadmap, also testing can occasionally raise issues which have an impact on delivery dates. 

We’ve also now updated the Timeline to show what events we will be attending in this quarter - http://www.telnic.org/community-timeline.html

With regards to things having gone quiet, Bunjie, have you seen our recent press releases (http://www.telnic.org/media-pressrel.html), there have been three in the past few weeks, with more to come. Also our CEO laid out where we see things going in his recent open letter - http://www.telnic.org/newsletters/2010message/. We’ll continue to provide both feature updates and a roundup of the latest news in our newsletter.

I notice that you refer to “Bug Fixes”, Bunjie, is there anything specific you are waiting for? There have been some system releases in the past few months, but I try to reference this back to the forum if it relates to a specific request that has been made on here.

dottel01-18-2011 04:36 PM

@Aled
as per the Timeline, there are no new updates coming up until 18th March 2011?
Not sure if there is any even after 18th March 2011, as data is not available.

Aled01-18-2011 04:40 PM

dottel, the timeline relates to events that Telnic staff will be attending rather than updates. It is the Roadmap which relates to system updates and this currently shows to the end of the second quarter of this year.

Blunderer01-18-2011 05:26 PM

Aled, I had a look at the Roadmap. Will we see Google Ads on smartphones (HTC Android in my case) by the end of March? Roy.

dialaroom01-18-2011 05:34 PM

Thanks Aled, looks like some good stuff happening in Q1, can you just qualify is that Calendar Q1 or Fiscal Q1 or are yours one and the same?

Aled01-18-2011 05:35 PM

Roy, yes, under the current development schedule and assuming these are no delays, the smartphone proxy will display Google Ads by the end of March.

Aled01-18-2011 05:37 PM

Dialaroom, we're using the calendar, so Q1 is Jan, Feb, March etc etc

Blunderer01-18-2011 06:43 PM

Aled, thats good news. Now I only have to work out how to put Google Ads on. Will the "Streamlined user journey for novice .tel owners" include the Google end - with pictures/screen shots, so that blunderers like me can achieve it? Roy.

dialaroom01-18-2011 07:12 PM

Thanks Telnic team for keeping the momentum going. I'm sure we all wish you more great successes in 2011.

rgolds01-18-2011 07:40 PM

It might be because this feature is too detailed/granular to put on the list, but I don't see any mention of adding SPF/generic DNS record type support. Henri mentioned here that it will be added soon:

Quote:

We're going to revisit that soonest and properly support SPF and open up generics.

Simon G01-18-2011 10:44 PM

Likewise the email wizard which I believe was On the roadmap. Would be great to simplify a confusing process for the general non tech public. would love to see this completed in the nearish future as would be a great Selling point. Thanks for the general update.
Keep up the good work.

Bunjie01-19-2011 06:44 AM

I feel better now thanks, that Q1 + Q2 while giving you room to maneuver your development times gives me forward momentum and allot of hope and something to look forward too.

dottel01-19-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 12236)
dottel, the timeline relates to events that Telnic staff will be attending rather than updates. It is the Roadmap which relates to system updates and this currently shows to the end of the second quarter of this year.

[size]
thanks for the reply
Things like this "1 Jully -> hCard support added to all .tel domains" are actually updates rather than an event?

As you have included some updates in the timeline, I assumed that there will not be any updates coming up in near future..[/size]

Aled01-19-2011 10:19 AM

Roy - No, I'm afriad that AdSense instructions are not included within that work. We will, however, be reworking all of our support documentation over the next few months, so I'll see if we can include some more details in there on this.

Ryan - Yes, that is still very much part of the development plan, but as you say, too granular to be included in this which are the high level highlights for the "average" user

Simon - the Wizard has been part of our plans for a while, but it's a .tel setup wizard rather than an email wizard. Since we don't manage the email account and just take the settings it's not something we control. You can see the difficulty just in our current tip on setting up email, where the three different email accounts we describe have three different methods of setup. The ideal solution would be for a .tel provider to either package email up or include it ad an optional extra so that the setup is seamless at registration.

dottel - significant updates that have been completed and are live are moved to the timeline as milestones. Upcoming developments that are not yet live appear on the roadmap. Once they are made live they stay on the roadmap for a period with a green tick next to them and are eventually removed/placed on the timeline. I'm sorry if we have set it up in a way that is confusing to you.

Bunjie01-19-2011 11:46 PM

.tel needs to rival facebook for the "one true login" and capitalize on the ability for people to store their data and understand what companies have access to it through the share feature, I don't hate to say it that facebook for all it's plus side with access to millions of people and it's traffic, really is going to cause even worse privacy issues in the future.

Not wanting to sound crazy but you know I'm a littleish weird, Google did partner with the CIA? or another such gov agency so there's no reason why Facebook could not be acquired by a shell company or form a partnership with another such agency that is effectively harvesting information for this new super database to pick out terrorists.

And yes they have one active it's not just crazy talk, it's an intergovernmental database for law enforcement and all such stuff (USA) if you sneeze wrong and caught, you'll be flagged in it.

While I'm not one and like everyone I have basic things I would prefer to be private, it's a worrisome trend to see Google CEO talking that kids should be able to change their name in the future to avoid whats been exposed online and Facebook being traded as stocks behind closed doors before they're legally able to do so.

So I'm really hoping you can develop .tel in such a way that people flock to it because it's easy for the masses to manage who has what of their data online, and be able to pull the plug on any service at any time, perhaps even when you do feed such a service with junk data prior to cutting ties so they don't have a clean copy of it without searching backups.. because I know Facebook does not delete anything even when you don't see it I believe most is archived.

Anyway it's better to be under telnic a registry company than to be under a company like facebook.

Which also brings me to another point, what are we doing about data harvesters? if data can be pulled from the DNS does Telnic have a system to detect bots? that are calling up by keyword https://d0.webproxy.nic.tel/lookup=keyword.tel and blocking it? when it's on mass?

rgolds01-20-2011 01:12 AM

Playing devil's advocate, Telnic and/or its associated registrars can always be subpoenaed to get information about anyone if a law enforcement agency can prove to a judge that there's reasonable suspicion that they may be involved in illegal activity. Such a subpoena is commonly served with a sealing order to make it a crime to tell the person/people being investigated that information is being sought or even that an investigation exists. Additionally, nothing is preventing Telnic and/or associated registrars from being acquired by government-based or other "special interest" entities. In fact, it would be even easier for this to happen under the radar here, since Telnic and most registrars are private companies (and thus don't have to publicly reveal financial and other information, while public companies like Google do). For all we know, Telnic could be operated by the NSA as we speak!

Also, as I'm sure many forum members remember, the US government recently seized a handful of domains on the basis of suspicion of copyright infringement. They didn't even need the assistance of registrars; they went directly to ICANN, which transferred control of those domains.

My point is, there's no such thing as true privacy or anonymity on the internet. The safest assumption one can make is that anything and everything done online is being monitored, logged, and will forever be accessible to anyone who wants to find it.
Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Re: Are we there yet?

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 4:04 pm

maximka01-20-2011 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgolds (Post 12268)
Playing devil's advocate, Telnic and/or its associated registrars can always be subpoenaed to get information about anyone if a law enforcement agency can prove to a judge that there's reasonable suspicion that they may be involved in illegal activity. Such a subpoena is commonly served with a sealing order to make it a crime to tell the person/people being investigated that information is being sought or even that an investigation exists. Additionally, nothing is preventing Telnic and/or associated registrars from being acquired by government-based or other "special interest" entities. In fact, it would be even easier for this to happen under the radar here, since Telnic and most registrars are private companies (and thus don't have to publicly reveal financial and other information, while public companies like Google do). For all we know, Telnic could be operated by the NSA as we speak!

Also, as I'm sure many forum members remember, the US government recently seized a handful of domains on the basis of suspicion of copyright infringement. They didn't even need the assistance of registrars; they went directly to ICANN, which transferred control of those domains.

My point is, there's no such thing as true privacy or anonymity on the internet. The safest assumption one can make is that anything and everything done online is being monitored, logged, and will forever be accessible to anyone who wants to find it.

[size]
I personally because of the similar reasons do not participate in various social networks, as consider them to be a trap for easy-believers. Thanks God that technology does not allows all agencies, organizations and others to read our thoughts in our heads. The head is the only one true private place. As for TEL, safety is necessary in using it, in the same manner as in using all other things.[/size]

rgolds01-20-2011 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximka (Post 12269)
Thanks God that technology does not allows all agencies, organizations and others to read our thoughts in our heads.

[size]
Well, as far as we know, such technology doesn't exist. In 1942, the public had no idea about, and probably couldn't even conceptualize, technology that generates the explosive power of 20,000 tons of TNT (the atomic bomb). It's not unreasonable to consider the possibility that the government has technology that can read thoughts.

In fact, I took a graduate course in university called [url=http://www.be.seas.upenn.edu/about-academics/pdf/BE ABET Accredited Course descriptions.pdf#page=35]Brain-Computer Interfaces[/url], in which we learned about (and designed) devices that can analyze and modulate the nervous system. Obviously, it wasn't anything near being able to read minds, but we did see a device implanted in the brain that allowed a quadriplegic individual, after some training utilizing brain plasticity, to type complete sentences without saying or doing anything - just focusing on each letter he wants to write.

Seems like we've gotten quite off topic... :p[/size]

maximka01-20-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgolds (Post 12272)
Seems like we've gotten quite off topic... :p

[size]
Perhaps, we are not completely off-topic, as many of us worries about privacy issues when using their TELs and understands importance of personal safety in Internet.

So in the topic "there we are now?" we can remind Telnic again that it is not safe to make our real names available for public (and for criminals also) through simple Whois service, and that publishing such data does not increase the number of people wanting to get their own TEL.[/size]

maximka01-20-2011 11:03 AM

P.S.
Just now checked part of the list (from letters R to S) of yesterday registered TELs. The MOST of them seem to be TELs of end-users, as they are filled with their contact info. I think, that it is a very good sign that not only investors or enthusiasts are interested in TELs, but real people begin to appreciate them and want them. 

There were these TELs:

Ramandsonsconstruction
Randlplumbing
Reavesenterprises
Regalautotransport
Reifefrauen
Resculocksmiths
Richardlschneiderlaw
Robinsonandsonplumbing
Rosssmithlaw
Royalcrown
S-consalting
Saccom
Sauces3-0
Sconsalting
Scratchweddings
Sean-hakes
Seanhakes
Securelimousine
Segunda
Seniorplacementhotline
Shambhala
Smallplanetevehicles
Smartwirecommunications
Socialintelligence
Solartechnologybuilders
Solotermitecontrol
Stephenjurmanlaw

Cees01-20-2011 11:48 AM

rgolds,

Still off topic, but I'm sure this would be of interest to at least yourself and Bunjie.

Nervous system manipulation by electromagnetic fields from monitors (patent lodged)

http://web.archive.org/web/200503212...p6,506,148.htm

The original article has been pulled, I got this of the "waybackmachine"

rgolds01-20-2011 06:11 PM

That is pretty interesting - thanks Cees!

Here is the full patent, plus drawings, at Google Patents: http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=HIgMAAAAEBAJ

And just so people know, a patent can be granted for anything, even non-existent technology, as long as it fits the criteria of being (1) unique, (2) useful, and (3) non-obvious. So just because a patent for this technology exists, that doesn't necessarily mean that any practical applications of such technology has been, or can be, created.

spline01-20-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 12277)
rgolds,

Still off topic, but I'm sure this would be of interest to at least yourself and Bunjie.

Nervous system manipulation by electromagnetic fields from monitors (patent lodged)

http://web.archive.org/web/200503212...p6,506,148.htm

The original article has been pulled, I got this of the "waybackmachine"

[size]
Well I would say that it would be much much easier to affect a human and their nervous system by written text, images and sound such as a voice ;)[/size]

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:35 am