WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

dot.anything coming to you soon.

Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 4:40 pm

Cees05-25-2011 05:38 AM

SO LONG dot.com. Soon the easy way to consult the internet will be via dot.anything.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1226061557172

boracay.tel05-25-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 14838)
SO LONG dot.com. Soon the easy way to consult the internet will be via dot.anything.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1226061557172

[size]
so if it's all about the ".brand" then telnic probably has something that a LOT of telecom companies would try to lay claim to. for example, canon may want ".printers" or ".cameras" besides ".canon" and a bidding war would probably win out between rival companies.

well if anything, this hopefully sheds some much needed light on ".tel" in the media.[/size]

Cees05-25-2011 12:08 PM

Yes, I think this will be a plus for .tel

tindaya05-25-2011 02:24 PM

Yes, the dottel will be the digital curation.

mikeseaton05-25-2011 02:54 PM

Interesting article - you ONLY need $US185,000 PLUS The Infrastructure Setup Costs PLUS The Running Costs to create an extension that may or may not take off.

I'm sure a few will make it to a certain extent - particularly state-based ones funded by the taxpayer - but remember how ".Travel" when it was introduced was supposed to dominate the travel industry - I can't recall any major travel company using it for its main web site - they tend to use Dot Coms or Country Code extensions.

I agree with Cees - this can only be good for .tel - which offers a clear distinction to all other TLDs.

Mike Seaton

dialaroom05-25-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 14842)
Yes, I think this will be a plus for .tel

[size]
Me too cees, 
however I can see the appeal for cities and towns having their own tld. I was thinking of registering a favourite village of mine in wales[size=48].[/size]Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch but decided against it as the logo design was proving too difficult.:D[/size]

Cees05-26-2011 12:54 PM

Steve, Cities and Towns would have to be amongst the most useful, a no brainer really.

Blunderer05-27-2011 05:55 PM

So only Governments can authorise ownership of City and Town names? Most Cities and Towns that I read about these days can't afford to collect the taxpayers' garbage, or repair the roads but, given that this sounds "essential for brand image", they will probably all find the $185K to register a domain + $10M for lawyers fees to defend their claim against similarly named locations + another $100K to change their existing letterheads + $2M a year for new staff to administer it all, .........these domains should go far!

mikeseaton05-29-2011 05:40 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens when say Restaurants.MyCity is allocated (to a city employee) or sold (to an entrepreneur) who then does not come up with the best possible restaurant site for that city.

Maybe the city authorities will turn out to be ace site builders - but if not the idea of always being able to find what you want at xxxxxx.MyCity will soon pail.

Users will then turn back to finding a better restaurant site by using search engines - which would bring us back to where we are now - but with the city down a million or two, funded by the long suffering taxpayer!

Mike Seaton

dialaroom05-29-2011 07:58 PM

As you say mike, I can just see uk town and city councils wasting money on this one, then it going by the wayside. 

You'll need a directory to find out what to type before the .tld to get the info you want. 

Perhaps that's what .google will be for.

Current date/time is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 10:47 pm