WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Google changes its search algorithm rules.

Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 5:38 pm

Cees12-02-2011 07:07 PM

Here is an excerpt which I know will resonate with a few.

"Rewarding The Original
Another big change is that Google says it can now better detect which is the “original” page when confronted with several that seem similar:
Original content: We added new signals to help us make better predictions about which of two similar web pages is the original one.
Within a web site, a variety of things can cause a page to be duplicated. However, a bigger issue for many publishers is when people copy or “scrape” their content without permission. These scraper sites sometimes can even outrank the original site for searches.
Google doesn’t specifically say this change is aimed at scraper sites, but it should help with that issue — and it’s an issue Google’s been especially been battling against since launching its Panda Update earlier this year."

Link to the full article
http://searchengineland.com/google-p...changes-103302

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)12-02-2011 07:14 PM

Well that might just fix the Panama problem.
Mark

boracay.tel12-03-2011 06:36 AM

Hear hear. I'm being trumped by that and it's outright copying.

...but that, together with the latest mobile search box now being placed smack in the middle of (what was once a perfectly searched and coherently displayed result) is just about the final nail for me with .tel

Take a look here for comparative .tel vs .mobi development efforts.
I think I'll take another holiday 
[url=http://www.opensrs.com/docs/goMobi_1 5_release_dec5_2011.pdf?utm_medium=ET_email&utm_content=rossco@me.com&utm_campaign=goMobi+1.5+Release&utm_source=goMobi+1.5+Release]http://www.opensrs.com/docs/goMobi_1...bi+1.5+Release[/url]

Cees12-03-2011 08:44 AM

I hear Boracay is a nice place for a holiday:D

Have to disagree on search box, I prefer it at the top, however it would be better to have a choice about placement.

Live12-03-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 19390)
[url=http://www.opensrs.com/docs/goMobi_1 5_release_dec5_2011.pdf?utm_medium=ET_email&utm_content=rossco@me.com&utm_campaign=goMobi+1.5+Release&utm_source=goMobi+1.5+Release]http://www.opensrs.com/docs/goMobi_1...bi+1.5+Release[/url]

[size]
WOW! .tel can't compete with that! THE COMPETITION ISN'T SLEEPING![/size]

Live12-03-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

...but that, together with the latest mobile search box now being placed smack in the middle of (what was once a perfectly searched and coherently displayed result) is just about the final nail for me with .tel

[size]
PLEASE Telnic, Listen to your customers and don't work in secret by shutting down your biggest supporters! Most customers won't tell you if they are disappointed; they will just stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)12-03-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live (Post 19395)
WOW! .tel can't compete with that! THE COMPETITION ISN'T SLEEPING!

[size]
Nice easy way to build mobile sites for SMB with QRCodes, coupons, images, Paypal, shopping cart, videos. Hmmm. No sleeping at go.Mobi.
Mark[/size]

maximka12-03-2011 04:03 PM

----- deleted because of forum migration -----

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)12-03-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximka (Post 19402)
But as I understand it needs hosting. And this is not a tempting perspective.

[size]
Yes and that's a huge factor in favour of .TEL. So is the ability to create subdomains quickly for SEO. However interfaces like goMobi sure make it easy for SMB to create a flashy, interactive site. I'm not saying Mobi is better than Tel. I don't even know if a small business knows that .Mobi exists. But the people they hire to develop their site sure will know .mobi and not .tel. 

So what we need is more awareness on the marketing side and on the development side, at least the ability to have at least multiple iFrame support because that will make it real easy to add anything that everyone wants. iFrames will allow all those nice.mobi features plus affiliate scripting, interactivity and more.

Telnic wants to control the look and feel of .tel pages and that's good. They can't give everyone all those myriad features that collectively we all are clammering for. But at least give us more control over content and presentation and I think iframes just might be the answer. I might be wrong but if we had sincere and open discussions over needs, we could discuss the pros and cons of iframes and other techniques. 

Mark[/size]

mikeseaton12-03-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 19403)
So what we need is more awareness on the marketing side and on the development side, at least the ability to have at least multiple iFrame support because that will make it real easy to add anything that everyone wants. iFrames will allow all those nice.mobi features plus affiliate scripting, interactivity and more.

Telnic wants to control the look and feel of .tel pages and that's good. They can't give everyone all those myriad features that collectively we all are clammering for. But at least give us more control over content and presentation and I think iframes just might be the answer. I might be wrong but if we had sincere and open discussions over needs, we could discuss the pros and cons of iframes and other techniques.

[size]
Well said Mark.

I do hope Telnic realise that if developers like yourself finally grow weary of the current lack of mass marketing / significant development and decide to leave .tel for greener pastures that really could be the beginning of the end !

The nice thing about banging your head against a brick wall is stopping doing it !

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton12-03-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

... just about the final nail for me with .tel

[size]
Just had a quick look at this - very impressive - imagine if .tel had just some of these features that could be specified from the Control Panel for easy implementation by "non-techie" users.

I know .tel is not meant to be a replacement for web sites, but it's not making it as a universal contact medium either, due to lack of awareness/demand from "Joe Public" - caused mainly by the lack of the necessary mass marketing.

IMO .tel needs to find its niche where it can be successful PDQ - The Reality of .Tel is looming large !

Mike Seaton[/size]

boracay.tel12-04-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximka (Post 19402)
But as I understand it needs hosting. And this is not a tempting perspective.

[size]
It's $2.50 per month at opensrs
Its a serious option to consider, because there is actual development there. 
The control panel is really simple to setup. 
The development is expressed to the community before DRASTIC changes are delivered.
There are lots of ON/OFF options.
Arghhhhhh[/size]

boracay.tel12-04-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 19403)
if we had sincere and open discussions over needs, we could discuss the pros and cons of iframes and other techniques. 

Mark

[size]
I have tried to discuss the mobile search for a singular "search this .tel" for months and months. The result? Nothing FIXED for months and months.
NOW a DRASTIC change to the layout.
No options for existing site owners.
Unbelievable[/size]

mikeseaton12-04-2011 02:12 PM

Hi Boracay,

So many software developers and domain investors are getting frustrated at Telnic - I've made many comments about the unacceptable situation, Mark's made several, many others on this forum have and now you seem to be at the end of your patience with Telnic !

I predicted a long time ago that unless Telnic undertook the necessary mass marketing (and a certain amount of further development) domain investors would drop .tel domains when renewal time came up and software developers would gradually lose interest - there is no point in developing software for a small marketplace.

If a company fails to listen to what existing customers want and/or fails to gain new customers through mass marketing (as Apple does brilliantly) they will gradually fade away, though Telnic probably has a large amount of the .tel investment funding left to keep it going for a while.

As a businessman you have to weigh up the probabilities of .tel failing to gain a large acceptance in the marketplace and adjust the amount of time and/or money you are prepared to spend on it.

For some it is now zero, for others it is a much lesser amount than originally intended, for a few they are still ploughing large amounts of their time/money into .tel hoping for Telnic to come up with something in the way of mass marketing and significant development.

The thread The Reality of .Tel says it all really - we need to accept this and adjust our plans and ambitions for .tel accordingly !

Mike Seaton

boracay.tel12-04-2011 02:45 PM

Too right mike.
I'm through. This development style/pace is not for me.
I Will keep boracay.tel in some fashion, probably a simple link of all subdomains across to Boracay.mobi
Who knows. Start from scratch.

Definately spend the next 3 months on boracay.mobi as I do not believe the new templates are due anytime soon.

Good luck all.

mikeseaton12-04-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 19423)
Too right mike.
I'm through. This development style/pace is not for me.
I Will keep boracay.tel in some fashion, probably a simple link of all subdomains across to Boracay.mobi
Who knows. Start from scratch.

Definately spend the next 3 months on boracay.mobi as I do not believe the new templates are due anytime soon.

Good luck all.

[size]
Sorry to see you quit the .tel project Boracay !

Do keep your membership of the forum open and make a post when Boracay.mobi is up and running - it may be .mobi will see a new lease of life now that .tel seems to have hit the buffers re the hoped-for mass marketing / significant development that so many on this forum keep pushing Telnic for.

I still think there is a marketplace for a low-cost personal contact domain name that enables users to create a mini web site that for many self-employed and SMBs will be the only web presence they will ever need.

Telnic may have blown this opportunity to make that a .tel domain, or maybe they have a mass marketing campaign about to be launched that will mean when you go into a mobile phone shop the staff have actually heard of .tel - every time I've tried this out I get a blank stare and a response like "What's that?".

Anyway best of luck in your .mobi project - it may be that some .tel developers and users will be joining you shortly - to quote a previous post of mine:

The nice thing about banging your head against a brick wall is stopping doing it !

Mike Seaton[/size]

maximka12-04-2011 07:00 PM

mikeseaton12-04-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

dotMobi, a wholly owned subsidiary of Afilias Limited, was founded by 14 visionary mobile operators, network & device manufacturers, and Internet content providers, including Ericsson, Google, GSM Association, Hutchison 3, Microsoft, Nokia, Orascom Telecom, Samsung Electronics, Syniverse, T-Mobile, Telefónica Móviles, Telecom Italia, Visa and Vodafone.

[size]
dotMobi's 14 founders reads like a Who's Who of the telecoms industry - I didn't realise this extension had such high-profile backers - maybe we've all been backing the wrong horse with .tel !

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton12-04-2011 08:59 PM

.mobi v .tel

See what others think !

Mike Seaton

Redirects.tel12-06-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximka (Post 19425)

P.S.
I failed to find their official forum there. May be somebody can help with it?

[size]
here http://mobiforge.com/
And here http://blog.mobi[/size]
Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Re: Google changes its search algorithm rules.

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 5:38 pm

maximka12-06-2011 08:47 AM

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:25 pm