WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Where is .tel heading ?

Telnic
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Where is .tel heading ?

Post by Telnic on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 6:01 pm

mikeseaton03-18-2012 06:53 PM

Where is .tel heading ?

Forget for a moment the worldwide marketing issue and ask yourself is .tel losing its original concept (at least before Phase 2 arrives) of an incredibly fast and simple contact medium, easily updateable by anyone from any mobile or static device.

These days speed of delivery of internet data is very important - not just for users (who will hit the back button rather than wait) but also for ranking by Google etc. who take speed of delivery of a page as a significant factor in SERPS rankings.

Is this the answer - a Standard and a Premium version of .tel ?

Standard just gives you the original concept (simple with fast delivery) and Premium gives you the new templates (and other future developments) with all the bells and whistles that everyone is demanding (effectively a web site builder). 

Standard would just be normal reg cost, Premium would carry an additional fee in the same way that hosting carries an additional fee for conventional domains.

It's just an idea - maybe impractical to implement - but I for one would select Standard for some of my .tel domains and pay an addional fee for the Premium version for others.

It would also help keep .tel popular with registrars, who currently cannot earn anything more with .tel which they can do with selling hosting as an addon to conventional domains.

What do others think - would this idea work to enhance the attraction of .tel and increase registrars' revenue - encouraging them to promote .tel ?

Mike Seaton

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)03-18-2012 07:29 PM

What has become evident in my eyes recently is the near-global lack of awareness from tel owners of the extra things you can do with their .tel because (a) Telnic has no marketing effort (b) CTH has no imaging, RSS and other tools (eg video). The dependence on third-party developers, mostly free effort I might add, without marketing these features is a big problem. So many owners I've met (virtually) did not know they could enhance their pages. I wrote tools initially for myself and happily shared with the community. But time-wise and money-wise it's been a deep hole and still the vast majority of owners know little of what else they can do to get the most out of their domains. 

Registrars need to know of the extras that us third-party developers offer. I think it is up to Telnic to inform registrars how to retain owners by showing the benefits of tel for SMB, SEO and through the use of these tools. If the CTH gets enhanced, so be it, maybe I'll lose some of the revenue I receive from bulk tool users (thank you, you know who you are), but at least there will be more interest in developing tels.

Having said that, I don't think there needs to be a premium version. I think owners can choose how they want to enhance their sites, with the knowledge that premium might add a little to the overhead. With more awareness of the additional power, sales will increase.

Mark

boracay.tel03-19-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 21017)
mostly free effort I might add

[size]
Mark, only to happy to support your efforts with hard cold cash. Ive made some cash elsewhere while ,tel sleeps. love to see .tel do more. stay the .tel course (ill keep checking in on what you are "allowed" to deliver us)[/size]

mikeseaton03-19-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 21017)
...mostly free effort I might add......time-wise and money-wise it's been a deep hole...

[size]
If you do a S.W.O.T analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) on .tel one thing that stands out as a weakness is .tel's major reliance on a single person to produce the tools that make .tels attractive and easy to bulk update, i.e. Mark Kolb.

If Mark woke up one day and said "That's it, I can't keep producing and supporting free (or extremely low cost) tools for .tel anymore" then Telnic and .tel would have a big problem.

I'm not suggesting Mark will ever say "enough is enough" but everyone has a point at which they can't afford to run a business for next to no remuneration.

So Telnic please buy out Mark's tools now - make him an offer he can't refuse, put the tools in the CTH, and retain Mark as a consultant.

You Know It Makes Sense !

Mike Seaton[/size]

Geo03-19-2012 08:24 PM

The standard / premium idea makes sense... including a set of features and templates geared specifically for directories including bulk features... It would also be nice for Telnic to distinguish directories from other Tels in Telpages, and in their mobile apps.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)03-19-2012 08:25 PM

Now premium for directories I would agree with, so if you need copious subdomains, pay more.
Mark

supercyberheroes03-19-2012 09:02 PM

It would also help keep .tel popular with registrars, who currently cannot earn anything more with .tel which they can do with selling hosting as an addon to conventional domains.

Right mikeseaton godaddy.com decided not to registry .tel because they do not make much money selling domain, they do money selling hosting and other thing therefore .tel is a threat for them, if they see that they come make money selling premium .tel with tool they may change the mind.

So Telnic please buy out Mark's tools now - make him an offer he can't refuse, put the tools in the CTH, and retain Mark as a consultant.

Yes, it may be another option, but I am 100% with Mark awareness is the most important thing, just look at .CO and you will see how it is important, according to .CO they espend 40% of their revenue on awareness and it paying off.

Regards
http://supercyberheroes.tel
http://businessdirect.tel

maximka03-19-2012 09:34 PM

---------- deleted for privacy because of forum migration ----------------

dottel.net03-19-2012 11:10 PM

one of the largest (if not largest) registrar... with primetime ad spending (i.e. superbowl). like them or not, you still need your domain with them to get word out to the masses....

mikeseaton03-19-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 21046)
one of the largest (if not largest) registrar... with primetime ad spending (i.e. superbowl). like them or not, you still need your domain with them to get word out to the masses....

[size]
Very true - check out GoDaddy's Superbowl 2011 and Superbowl 2012 videos.

Think of the 100's of millions of people who became aware of .CO at the Superbowl - and then ask What will .TEL be doing in awareness creation at the 2012 Olympics in London - the home of Telnic ?

As far as I know, nothing at all !

There are only so many times you can miss out on the chance of promoting a new idea to the masses before you blow your chances forever !

Mike Seaton[/size]

Current date/time is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 12:46 am