WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Telnames price hike from £14.95 to £24.95

fustachio.tel

Zodiac : Pisces Chinese zodiac : Pig
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames price hike from £14.95 to £24.95

Post by fustachio.tel on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:18 pm

As I have yet to receive any correspondence by email regarding the price rise, I must think that the first time most of those businesses who joined at 14ish or lower will find out come renewal or not find out at all until they check their business bank balances and noticed 24 has gone out and think it's a mistake.
If the point is support start ups and small business then they have to let them know about it or it looks very underhanded and shady as its marketed as not having to use the site etc and forget and carry on so most wont know and as some are operating on small budgets and need stable accounting that extra 10 pounds could be the difference between bread on the table or not in extreme circumstances.
So to not see a press release or an email explaining why the change was made, even if it was just to say we value you but we have to put up the price (with reason or not) its more courteous than anything and lets people budget better.

fustachio.tel

Post by fustachio.tel on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:28 pm

Quickest way to tell them of these major changes would be to update the app so that after its updated and the next time they use it, it displays a popup message a "message of the day" type thing just letting them know of changes in the service, with an ok button that sends a tag to a database so telnames knows how many are aware of changes X Y Z, though they could even be more courteous and have 2 buttons an OK to carry on using the service (much like when tos are updated and things do the do you agree popup) and a Cancel with a second screen that turns off renewal.
Yes they might loose money but they'd loose more if they don't be courteous and inform customers and give them as much of a heads up before major changes are made. As I have the feeling that if they don't know its gone up and find out after the fact they will feel robbed and leave anyway so a small boost in profits for telnames is going to make them look bad.
But I'm fine paying £25 though I just don't know what I'm getting extra or contributing towards which is why I was angry at previous registrars as I only saw my money going towards a black hole and not getting the service I required and then I got the service I required but now it's gone up idk what I'm getting and if nothing well at least let me know why it went up with marketing speech that doesn't really tell me anything. (better than nothing)

fustachio.tel

Post by fustachio.tel on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:49 pm

So what am I getting? discount coupons on real business cards? (about.me does/did this), a telnames "membership" real world card? that I can wave around as a status symbol? (I remember Kash or someone posted on that chip moo card thing), a wallet to trade and pay credits to other telnames enabled businesses?, a virtual universal avatar? a larger size gallery? a tel domain login only marketplace? an augmented features app? a christmas/birthday card? (I get those sometimes from other businesses, most by email) again courteous, or a dedicated control panel discount tab listing coupon offers on business supplies, clothing and materials I might be interested in? that is pulled from the category my tel business is listed in and or keywords I use on it.
That would be all we need! we don't need a full marketplace site, we could use a new tab in the control panel with listings, if my business was making pillows then I should see listings for discounts on wool, fabric, and other stuff from members coupon listings on their own tel domains. Then allow me to pay for them with tel wallet credits and send them my real world address from the whois or let me store it in my tel hidden to give out to other tel members for services and goods.
But I'm guessing nothing but a warm feeling knowing I paid their office heating bill.
Expert
Insider
Insider

Post by Expert on Wed 16 Jan 2013, 3:32 am

Despite the price hike yesterday, still about 40 people have been interested in Telnames yesterday.
Perhaps Telnames should charge $100 per one e-mail like Facebook: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11/facebook-charging-message-zuckerberg_n_2457326.html
Boracay

Post by Boracay on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 6:53 am

telnames is bringing added features with the price hike.
good work telnic.

requests:
can we get an update to the photo sizes shown on idevices and how about implementing the side to side swipe API (to scroll thru same photos so its classy and expected)

any passbook coupons for telnames renewals? ;-)

www.boracay.tel (a directory of "resorts") voted world's number 1 island resort destination of 2012
www.bali.tel (a directory of "resorts") voted world's number 2 island resort destination of 2012
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:27 pm

With yet another offer at http://www.Telnames.com of 40% discount this time (enter code OFF40), it does look as if around £14.95 is going to end up as the street price of a Telnames .tel in the UK, rather than the official price of £24.95.

Reminds me of watching Top Gear the other evening - Jeremy Clarkson (introducing "The Stig") with "Some say he is the only person to have bought a sofa at DFS which was NOT in a sale !" - UK residents will understand this !

http://MikeSeaton.tel

mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 9:56 am

Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Post by Sunrise on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:17 am

mikeseaton wrote:Why not just price Telnames at a standard competitive price of £14.95 ?
That would look much better.
But it wouldn't make a difference, because most domains will drop after the first year as customers will notice that nobody finds and opens their websites. Hence the higher renewal fee plays no role.
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:20 am

Sunrise wrote:
mikeseaton wrote:Why not just price Telnames at a standard competitive price of £14.95 ?
That would look much better.
But it wouldn't make a difference, because most domains will drop after the first year as customers will notice that nobody finds and opens their websites. Hence the higher renewal fee plays no role.
Telnames customers (many of whom are newbies) will need to remember to TURN OFF the default setting of AUTO-RENEW - otherwise they may well get a shock as a domain they perhaps paid £9.95 for as a show discount (from the initial price of £14.95) is suddenly automatically renewed from their credit card at £24.95 !

Boracay

Post by Boracay on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 5:20 pm

mikeseaton wrote:Telnames customers (many of whom are newbies) will need to remember to TURN OFF the default setting of AUTO-RENEW - otherwise they may well get a shock as a domain they perhaps paid £9.95 for as a show discount (from the initial price of £14.95) is suddenly automatically renewed from their credit card at £24.95 !

That's not correct.

As I am somebody with a few telnames from the very beginning, I can confirm currently that the renewal price automatically gets a discount (system generated) of about 40%. Well it wasn't cut in half..but was a big automatic discount

On another note (pro.tel), I am currently asking domain monster how they can justify their own 30% .tel price increase (before I transfer out). They have not enhanced anything about their .tel hosting that I am aware of.

www.boracay.tel (a directory of "resorts") voted world's number 1 island resort destination of 2012
www.bali.tel (a directory of "resorts") voted world's number 2 island resort destination of 2012
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 5:53 pm

Boracay wrote:...I can confirm currently that the renewal price automatically gets a discount (system generated) of about 40%.
That's good news from Boracay, that Telnames are automatically generating renewals of approx £14.95 rather than the advertised price of £24.95 - long may it continue !

mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 12:07 pm

40% Discount Code OFF40 is still available today at http://www.Telnames.com
- does anybody actually pay the "normal" £24.95 price any more ?

mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Tue 09 Apr 2013, 5:12 pm

mikeseaton wrote:40% Discount Code OFF40 is still available today at http://www.Telnames.com
- does anybody actually pay the "normal" £24.95 price any more ?
It seems not !

Jonny

Post by Jonny on Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:30 am

The price hike is withdrawn (after nine months): http://www.dottel.biz/t14-price-reduction-at-telnames
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:47 am

mikeseaton wrote:The almost continuous theme of 40% discount continues with yet another 40% code reported today

Why not just price Telnames at a standard competitive price of £14.95 ?
It took Telnames over 6 months - the above post was made 15 March - to do this !

Toptel

Post by Toptel on Wed 09 Oct 2013, 5:42 pm

Mike,

Adjusting the price was easy and took 6 months.
How long it will take to combine design and subdomains?
Tim Spears

Post by Tim Spears on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:14 am

Toptel wrote:How long it will take to combine design and subdomains?
If you are thinking about subdomains for Telnames, it's sure that Telnames isn't ready for it. Check this blog entry from today:
A mobile-friendly .tel website delivers exactly what smartphone users want – a simple one page ...
http://blog.telnames.com/mobile-travel-searchers-book-fast/

Hopefully one day Telnames will find a way to explain how smartphone users will be enabled to find a Telname!
GoTel

Post by GoTel on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 6:54 am

If Telnames were smart enough to operate a good Telnames Directory, they wouldn't
have to constantly change prices just to push "a domain name to nowhere".

Duh.
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:03 am

Tim Spears wrote:
Toptel wrote:How long it will take to combine design and subdomains?
If you are thinking about subdomains for Telnames, it's sure that Telnames isn't ready for it. Check this blog entry from today:
A mobile-friendly .tel website delivers exactly what smartphone users want – a simple one page ...
http://blog.telnames.com/mobile-travel-searchers-book-fast/
For all those who think/hope that Telnames will eventually offer subdomains IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !

The above blog quote simply re-iterates what Henri Asseily (the CTO of Telnames and Telnic) has been saying for a long time about the Telnames approach to .tel information display.

IMO the more relevant question is HOW LONG WILL THE TELNIC SUBDOMAIN FORMAT BE AROUND ?

This is particularly relevant given that Telnic/Telnames seem to be doing everything posssible to p*** off its registrars by INTRODUCING A MORE DESIRABLE FORMAT (TELNAMES) THAT BYPASSES (AND COMPETES WITH) ITS OWN RETAILERS !

One day the .tel project may become a case study in HOW TO ALIENATE THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF INVESTORS, DEVELOPERS AND RETAILERS IN THE SHORTEST POSSIBLE TIME !

Last edited by mikeseaton on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:09 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Tim Spears

Post by Tim Spears on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:05 am

GoTel wrote:If Telnames were smart enough to operate a good Telnames Directory, they wouldn't
have to constantly change prices just to push "a domain name to nowhere".
As long a Telname can't be found on the Internet Telnames can sell them for $1 and businesses still won't be interested in a Telname.
Tim Spears

Post by Tim Spears on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:08 am

mikeseaton wrote:The more relevant question IMO is HOW LONG WILL THE TELNIC SUBDOMAIN FORMAT BE AROUND ?
Interesting in this context 90% of all new registrations happen at Telnic and not at Telnames. And it weighs even more since marketing happens only for Telnames.
let

Post by let on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 9:29 am

Tim Spears wrote:If you are thinking about subdomains for Telnames, it's sure that Telnames isn't ready for it. Check this blog entry from today:
Wow! Telnic really knows what users want. That must be the reason for the overwhelming success!
TELwax
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by TELwax on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 1:50 pm

@Mikeseaton

Frankly let's not loose temper, this subdomain story on pro TELs is somehow a silly consideration for many reasons, but only driven  by very human exasperation on other serious topics ;+)
... however understable this exasperation is ...
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

TELwax wrote:@Mikeseaton

Frankly let's not loose temper, this subdomain story on pro TELs is somehow a silly consideration for many reasons, but only driven  by very human exasperation on other serious topics ;+)
... however understable this exasperation is ...
@TelWax - no temper lost in my post I can assure you !

But disbelief, incredulity, call it what you will, that $35,000,000 of shareholders money can have been wasted in such an appalling way when the basic idea is very good, but the execution of the idea has been a catalogue of misjudgements and errors !

TELwax
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by TELwax on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 3:41 pm

Agreed.
Imagine you or anyone of us in the shoes of the shareholders , hard time and heart attack garanteed !!!

Happily for their stomach and liver , it was certainly not their own money, and they might had made write-offs since ! but some individual investors did certainly pay some real money somewhere for that luxury journey  ...

At the same time, have to reckon it was also somehow genious to sell such high sky dreams to shareholders at that price given the project blue prints ...which still not entirely fully printed so far !

Now , more harder times, everyone knows the average cheap budget to launch a one-among-two-thousands-nTLD nowadays ... whatever the result in DN registration , to be seen next year for them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 16 Dec 2017, 7:33 pm