WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

name dialing providers

Share
avatar
FrankW.
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-10-08
Posts : 261 Points : 9236
Reputation : 133
Warning level : 100 %

name dialing providers

Post by FrankW. on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:07 pm

After this topic was discussed heavily here, I made a simple search on Google and find this:
1) http://callnames.com 2) http://callmyname.com 3) http://nttm.co.uk 4) http://spelldial.com 5) http://siter.com 6) http://starstar.me
But Telnic doesn't give any information about their intention to offer name dialing. Does Telnic make room for others to occupy the market? Can Telnic not initiate a similar campaign?
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2225 Points : 45268
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by mikeseaton on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 2:12 pm

FrankW. wrote:After this topic was discussed heavily here, I made a simple search on Google and find this:
1) http://callnames.com 2) http://callmyname.com 3) http://nttm.co.uk 4) http://spelldial.com 5) http://siter.com 6) http://starstar.me
FrankW. wrote:But Telnic doesn't give any information about their intention to offer name dialing.
Here's a post (my bolding) on this subject made on Telnic's forum by Henri Asseily (Telnic/Telnames CTO) on 28 March 2011:

Come on people...

I hope you may have considered that we might have had this idea at some point when conceptualizing .tel... After all, we have been talking for a few years of "dialing a .tel", "emailing a .tel", "skyping a .tel", etc...

It seems like I need to repeat the ultimate long term goal of .tel: to be a SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT for all communications.
There is no need whatsoever to remember phone numbers or email addresses or skype ids, or MSN usernames. They're all a single DNS query away, just like IP addresses are a single DNS query away from web server names.

However, for this long term goal to be achieved, mobile phone companies and email client developers and Skype (and all the rest) will have to integrate this .tel lookup in their apps (just like Netscape integrated the A record lookup). For them to feel the value of doing this, first there needs to be a certain critical mass of .tel domains being used in the wild. Therefore there needs to be another orthogonal value proposition that is appealing to a large enough population that the critical mass will be reached.

And that other value proposition is what you see today as being generally how .tel is thought about: a simple, powerful way to publish your own contact information online, under your complete control.

So yeah, we know about the killer app. Trust me. We know. And we're glad you know too. It'll happen. But it's phase 2. Right now we're working on the success of phase 1, and considering the significant interest we see out there, it's going in the right direction pretty quickly.

And there's really no need for us to build dialer applications because:
1- they'll never be integrated by phone manufacturers.
2- for manufacturers to support .tel in their own dialers is trivial, a simple matter of parsing the .tel and doing a DNS lookup. And sample code to do that is already available to them.

Hope this is clear.
H.
A pretty clear statement of intent by Henri, but nearly 2 years have passed since then.

FrankW. wrote:Does Telnic make room for others to occupy the market?
Yes !

FrankW. wrote:Can Telnic not initiate a similar campaign?
Only when "critical mass" has been achieved according to Henri's post.

http://MikeSeaton.tel


Last edited by mikeseaton on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total


___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12553
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Expert on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 2:31 pm

mikeseaton wrote:
FrankW. wrote:Can Telnic not initiate a similar campaign?
Only when "critical mass" has been achieved according to Henri's post.
Henri needs to reconsider such way of thinking, because competitors are able to develop a new product and try to sell it without reaching critical mass first.
Companies without such hesitation will have a better position in the race!
avatar
Tim Spears
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-09-21
Posts : 345 Points : 10338
Reputation : 260
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Tim Spears on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 3:43 pm

It seems we are coming closer to the core problem .tel is facing. Everybody was very euphoric in 2009:
http://www.teltalk.org/t423-comparision-of-the-five-year-financial-projections-for-tel-before-after

After the expected success didn’t come, everybody became depressed. I don’t blame anybody for this human behavior, but this is the reason why the motivation is lost.
It leads to statements like from Henri above and Justin that show Telnic isn't reaching for higher targets anymore and is hoping for better days instead:
http://www.teltalk.org/t240p64-new-templates-are-available#3444

There is nothing bad about this, but it explains why suddenly we haven't heard any statements from them anymore after they have been so active in speaking to the public a few years ago. Above all unfortunate circumstances and a difficult market environment may not lead to the condemnation of individuals or employees of Telnic.
It can be even very good to go through a phase of reorientation. The good thing is motivation can be always recovered.

I'm sure when the right measures have been found; we'll go back to the old optimism from 2009.
avatar
Moonlight
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 203 Points : 5902
Reputation : 79
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Moonlight on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:30 pm

FrankW. wrote:After this topic was discussed heavily here, I made a simple search on Google and find this:
1) http://callnames.com 2) http://callmyname.com 3) http://nttm.co.uk 4) http://spelldial.com 5) http://siter.com 6) http://starstar.me
Yippee! Several hundred US dollar registration fee per year! Good luck with that! I rather keep my .tel!
avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12553
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Expert on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:44 pm

Moonlight wrote:
FrankW. wrote:After this topic was discussed heavily here, I made a simple search on Google and find this:
1) http://callnames.com 2) http://callmyname.com 3) http://nttm.co.uk 4) http://spelldial.com 5) http://siter.com 6) http://starstar.me
Yippee! Several hundred US dollar registration fee per year! Good luck with that! I rather keep my .tel!
Number 1, 4 and 5 are for free!
avatar
Moonlight
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 203 Points : 5902
Reputation : 79
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Moonlight on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:53 pm

Number 1 till 5 work with an app. Telnic has this already since years: http://telnic.org/tools-landing.html
In addition Telnic is the only service the phone number can be dialed without app by accessing the contact through the internet.
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2225 Points : 45268
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by mikeseaton on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:23 pm

Given that "Dial-By-Name" from your smartphone keypad appears to be some years away as far as .TEL is concerned (being dependent on "critical mass" which is just not happening at the moment) let me ask a question:

If you could Dial-By-Name from the Address Bar of your smartphone browser, would you use that facility ?

For example you would enter:

a) telnic.telxxxx.com (subdomain format)
Or
b) telxxxx.com/telnic (directory format)

to dial Telnic's phone number as found at http://Telnic.tel

So two questions really:

1. Would you use Dial-By-Name from the Address Bar (let's call it Phase 1.5) ?

2. If so, would you prefer a) (subdomain format) or b) (directory format) ?

http://MikeSeaton.tel


___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12553
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Expert on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:38 pm

mikeseaton wrote:1. Would you use Dial-By-Name from the Address Bar (let's call it Phase 1.5) ?
Very creative! On desktops it wouldn't make sense, but on smartphones it could be really nice.
Instead of using the phone keypad (phase 2), you just use the most used app on smartphones: the internet browser! I like it!
mikeseaton wrote:2. If so, would you prefer a) (subdomain format) or b) (directory format) ?
Definitely a, because I don't want to search for the slash (/) on the keypad of my smartphone.
avatar
Natal
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-08-07
Posts : 63 Points : 3410
Reputation : 26
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Natal on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 11:01 pm

Serious question: Has any of these providers the chance to succeed against .tel? I doubt it, because all of them save contact data only on their own company server, but .tel is using the only place the internet is made of (the DNS). In addition users will always need additional instruments (apps or additional characters to add for the name to dial), but the implementation of .tel would be very easy for other technologies.
avatar
TELcp
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Location : Sri Lanka
Gender : Male
Join date : 2012-09-29
Posts : 57 Points : 3303
Reputation : 79
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by TELcp on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 10:59 am

Expert wrote:
....because competitors are able to develop a new product and try to sell it without reaching critical mass first. ...

What happens if competitors decide to give such products for FREE?


___________________________________________________
TELcp Developer
avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12553
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Expert on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:08 am

TELcp wrote:
Expert wrote:
....because competitors are able to develop a new product and try to sell it without reaching critical mass first. ...

What happens if competitors decide to give such products for FREE?
We'll know soon:
Expert wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
FrankW. wrote:After this topic was discussed heavily here, I made a simple search on Google and find this:
1) http://callnames.com 2) http://callmyname.com 3) http://nttm.co.uk 4) http://spelldial.com 5) http://siter.com 6) http://starstar.me
Yippee! Several hundred US dollar registration fee per year! Good luck with that! I rather keep my .tel!
Number 1, 4 and 5 are for free!
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2225 Points : 45268
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by mikeseaton on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:12 am

TELcp wrote:
Expert wrote:
....because competitors are able to develop a new product and try to sell it without reaching critical mass first. ...
What happens if competitors decide to give such products for FREE?
If their product is "good enough", they market it extensively (and/or form partnerships), develop an "ecosystem" and keep it involved, they will probably end up with millions of users and be bought out by the likes of Apple/Facebook/Google/Microsoft and the staff of the founding company will become multi-millionaires !

Look at how Facebook/Google/Twitter etc all have HUGE company valuations, have a HUGE userbase of accounts, yet all have their Basic Account FREE Of Charge.

There is a message here for Telnic/Telnames about gaining First Mover Advantage in the Dial-By-Name race !

Check out this post for the best solution to .TEL's "crisis of lack of total registrations" suggested so far on this forum !

http://MikeSeaton.tel


Last edited by mikeseaton on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:41 am; edited 5 times in total


___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
Tim Spears
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-09-21
Posts : 345 Points : 10338
Reputation : 260
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Tim Spears on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:23 am

Expert wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
FrankW. wrote:After this topic was discussed heavily here, I made a simple search on Google and find this:
1) http://callnames.com 2) http://callmyname.com 3) http://nttm.co.uk 4) http://spelldial.com 5) http://siter.com 6) http://starstar.me
Yippee! Several hundred US dollar registration fee per year! Good luck with that! I rather keep my .tel!
Number 1, 4 and 5 are for free!
No. 1 and 4 are too simple in design and no. 5 is too complicated in using. But after seeing the video from http://callnames.com I'm impressed how little effort is needed to create a service like this.
The video itself looks like it was created by a student in his spare time. I hope he won't throw Telnic out of the market.

Why Telnic doesn't create a website like http://callnames.com ?
avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12553
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Expert on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:31 am

Tim Spears wrote:But after seeing the video from http://callnames.com I'm impressed how little effort is needed to create a service like this.
The video itself looks like it was created by a student in his spare time. I hope he won't throw Telnic out of the market.

Why Telnic doesn't create a website like http://callnames.com ?
That is the advantage if you work alone or in a small group and not for a bigger company.
You don't need to spend much time on strategy, planning, analysis, controlling, conceptual design, internal administration and coordination.
If you are busy with these things, you won't accomplish anything.
But if you just do it, you will concentrate on results and launch your development in very short time.


Last edited by Expert on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
TELcp
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Location : Sri Lanka
Gender : Male
Join date : 2012-09-29
Posts : 57 Points : 3303
Reputation : 79
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by TELcp on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:33 am

Tim Spears wrote:...I hope he won't throw Telnic out of the market...
You never know. He or someone else might if things are not sorted out quickly.


___________________________________________________
TELcp Developer
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2225 Points : 45268
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by mikeseaton on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:46 am

TELcp wrote:
Tim Spears wrote:...I hope he won't throw Telnic out of the market...
You never know. He or someone else might if things are not sorted out quickly.
It's called FIRST MOVER ADVANTAGE - the product that ends up dominating a marketplace is often NOT the best product from a technical viewpoint, BUT one that gets to market first, establishes a large userbase, and becomes the "de-facto" standard that most people end up using (simply because just about everyone else does).

If you want an example of this effect, some say MICROSOFT WINDOWS - which has dominated the operating system marketplace for decades - is not the best operating system around !

http://MikeSeaton.tel


___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
Toptel
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-07-02
Posts : 448 Points : 12442
Reputation : 319
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Toptel on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 2:15 pm

Telnic really need help! They don't see the obvious!
avatar
NewYorkCity
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-10-12
Posts : 71 Points : 3563
Reputation : 58
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by NewYorkCity on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 4:11 pm

Expert wrote:That is the advantage if you work alone or in a small group and not for a bigger company.
You don't need to spend much time on strategy, planning, analysis, controlling, conceptual design, internal administration and coordination.
If you are busy with these things, you won't accomplish anything.
But if you just do it, you will concentrate on results and launch your development in very short time.
Perhaps the problem of Telnic is having so many directors. It takes long until all of them agree on new developments.
avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12553
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Expert on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 5:04 pm

NewYorkCity wrote:Perhaps the problem of Telnic is having so many directors. It takes long until all of them agree on new developments.
No, the problem is the drastic reduction of employees.
avatar
TELcp
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Location : Sri Lanka
Gender : Male
Join date : 2012-09-29
Posts : 57 Points : 3303
Reputation : 79
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by TELcp on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 1:18 am

The "Name Dialing" is already there in the .tel's sub domain structure. Name dialing on .tel does NOT need any new technology or new feature implementation. Any telpage is "Ready" for "Name Dialing". All you need is to click a button/icon/image and access an external service. Just like we have provided a contact form at www.telmailbox.com to redirect email messages.

Another example is TELcp's feature to display Skype Status Button. These are all similar and access external services.

What we need on .tel is an unique Voice Communication and Data Exchange services within the .tel Itself. "Name Dialing" within the .tel (through back end of the .tel itself). Anything short of that is NO use. Period.


Last edited by TELcp on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)


___________________________________________________
TELcp Developer
avatar
TELcp
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Location : Sri Lanka
Gender : Male
Join date : 2012-09-29
Posts : 57 Points : 3303
Reputation : 79
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by TELcp on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 2:59 am

Just to avoid any misinterpretation of above post..

You do not have to pay for a .tel domain name to do the "Name Dialing".
Any username (login username or any other Alpha characters) of any website can be converted to "Name Dialing". To achieve this type of more flexible usernames with unique (global) identities can be designed if traditional web technologies are used.

Therefore, one should not come to a conclusion that .tel sub domain structure is going to be a kind of unique usernames when it comes to "Name Dialing". It is NOT.
So, do not let yourselves build up lot of hopes on this topic as far as the .tel is concerned.

Cheers!


___________________________________________________
TELcp Developer
avatar
Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 735 Points : 19632
Reputation : 540
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Sunrise on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 7:37 am

TELcp wrote:Just to avoid any misinterpretation of above post..

You do not have to pay for a .tel domain name to do the "Name Dialing".
The user wouldn't pay for it; at best only the person who wants to be reachable through name dialing will pay for acquiring his name.
The last can be free depending on the service provider offering it.

TELcp wrote:Any username (login username or any other Alpha characters) of any website can be converted to "Name Dialing". To achieve this type of more flexible usernames with unique (global) identities can be designed if traditional web technologies are used.

Therefore, one should not come to a conclusion that .tel sub domain structure is going to be a kind of unique usernames when it comes to "Name Dialing". It is NOT.
Supposed .tel would be used by millions, certainly a lot of new services would offer names like username.domainname.tel.
The premium version would be username.tel = domainname.tel.
(In case of a worldwide success I expect that the ending .tel wouldn't be required to be dialed.)
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2225 Points : 45268
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by mikeseaton on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 8:14 am

Sunrise wrote:Supposed .tel would be used by millions, certainly a lot of new services would offer names like username.domainname.tel.
The premium version would be username.tel = domainname.tel.
(In case of a worldwide success I expect that the ending .tel wouldn't be required to be dialed.)
The problem with that as a service offering is the restriction placed on the number of subdomains, i.e. usernames, you could have on domainname.tel.

TELNIC - Max 2,999 subdomains/usernames

TELNAMES - Max 0 subdomains/usernames

http://MikeSeaton.tel


___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
Tim Spears
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-09-21
Posts : 345 Points : 10338
Reputation : 260
Warning level : 100 %

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Tim Spears on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 8:27 am

mikeseaton wrote:
Sunrise wrote:Supposed .tel would be used by millions, certainly a lot of new services would offer names like username.domainname.tel.
The premium version would be username.tel = domainname.tel.
(In case of a worldwide success I expect that the ending .tel wouldn't be required to be dialed.)
The problem with that as a service offering is the restriction placed on the number of subdomains, i.e. usernames, you could have on domainname.tel.

TELNIC - Max 2,999 subdomains/usernames

TELNAMES - Max 0 subdomains/usernames

http://MikeSeaton.tel
Telnic could adjust their system easily by increasing the allowance for number of subdomains in case the number of entries per subdomain would be reduced. The domain owner could choose between two modules (3,000 subdomains each with large space or 20,000 subdomains each with little space).

Sponsored content

Re: name dialing providers

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Fri 17 Nov 2017, 4:16 pm