WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

My opinion on the current development of .tels

silvano

Warning level : 100 %

My opinion on the current development of .tels

Post by silvano on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 12:39 pm

Despite having stopped writing here, I continued to follow and read the posts in this forum. Now I want to make three considerations.

1) Telnic, having failed to build a "skyscraper" with .tels, now is building a small "cottage with garden" with the creation of Telnames. But not even Telnames is having success. 5000 domains sold in 8-9 months of activity, say 8.000-10.000 new domains per year... five years to get to 50.000 domains... too little and too late, with the new gTLDs incumbent.
The commercials that made Telnames on tv are expensive. For example the cost of a single spot on Sky Italia goes from a minimum of 20 euros (secondary channel, night) to 10.000-15.000 euros (sport or cinema channels, prime time). Telnames must have spent a lot of money but the results were poor. After a little boom of 400 new domains in the first week of December, a slow descent until the 200 of this week.

2) The cause the current stalled development of .tel by Telnic (for the 235.000 owners of non Telnames .tel domains) is the existence of the same Telnames. The only value of Telnames is its template. The wish to push Telnames to success with its beautiful (I'm ironic) template, forces Telnic to not develop more its templates. If Telnic would develop other templates or provide the Telnames template to all its customers, who would pay 30 euros to Telnames for a domain, if he could have it for 10-15 euros from the other 100 registars?

3) People want a full featured site with all the bells and whistles, but .tels aren't, and will never be, full featured sites. The .tels are born for another purpose. Who wants his own site, with all the frills, must turn elsewhere. There are hundreds (and soon thousands) of extensions where to register a site, the price (domain + hosting) is comparable with that of Telnames, the construction is easy and fast with the templates provided by providers, the results are beautiful and personalized.
And for investors, well, the .tels are a bad deal, without value and market. The only domains with a value and a market are the .com

Of course my personal opinions...
Richy

Re: My opinion on the current development of .tels

Post by Richy on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm

Expert
Insider
Insider

Post by Expert on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 1:13 pm

Silvano explained it very well why .tel hasn't become successful yet. And it shows clearly Telnic is on the wrong track by trying to reach critical mass with offering websites, because they can't survive against the competition.
If a SMB wants a great looking website, the choice won't be Telnames, because here the SMB has no options for individual design at all.
Telnic should concentrate on this (long time before critical mass is in sight):
http://www.teltalk.org/t851-name-dialing-providers
But has anybody seen Telnic on the most important event for that: the C.E.S.?
http://www.teltalk.org/t846-just-another-idea-to-let-tel-domain-dialing-become-true

maxi
Insider
Insider

Post by maxi on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 1:47 pm

Expert wrote:Silvano explained it very well why .tel hasn't become successful yet. And it shows clearly Telnic is on the wrong track by trying to reach critical mass with offering websites, because they can't survive against the competition.
Now somebody from Telnames people will again interprete this as a vote for Telnames visit-card and a vote against Telnic TELs.

P.S.
Expert wrote:SMB
C.E.S.
What is "SMB" and "C.E.S."?

Insider
Insider

Post by Expert on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 3:35 pm

maxi wrote:Now somebody from Telnames people will again interprete this as a vote for Telnames visit-card and a vote against Telnic TELs.
I meant it as a vote against the development of Telnic and Telnames since 2009 until today (trying to compete with stronger competitors) and as a vote for creating something new (establishing new phone services).

maxi wrote:What is "SMB" and "C.E.S."?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_and_medium_businesses
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Show
Mad Max
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Mad Max on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 5:20 pm

after development abandonment for telnic and after acquiring only 5,000 customers with telnames during 8 months .tel really needs to start thinking into a new direction
forget about websites and start thinking like goolge or bring them on board

maxi
Insider
Insider

Post by maxi on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 7:02 pm

Expert wrote:
maxi wrote:Now somebody from Telnames people will again interprete this as a vote for Telnames visit-card and a vote against Telnic TELs.
I meant it as a vote against the development of Telnic and Telnames since 2009 until today (trying to compete with stronger competitors) and as a vote for creating something new (establishing new phone services).
TELs from Telnic are definitely something new. I have no doubts about that.

P.S.
Expert, thank you!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 4:16 am