WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Telnames conceptual mistake

Share
avatar
NewYorkCity
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-10-12
Posts : 71 Points : 3535
Reputation : 58
Warning level : 100 %

Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by NewYorkCity on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 4:00 pm

I summarize comments from this forum:


1. SEO for Telnames isn't possible, because Telnames has no subdomains.
2. Telnames can't be found on Telpages, because search results are sorted by subdomains and not by content.
3. No other directories for Telnames exist that look nice and could make websites from Telnames accessible easily.


Telnames seems to sell more and more websites, but will the buyers not start wondering why nobody can find them (and consequently not visit them) ?????
avatar
Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 735 Points : 19604
Reputation : 540
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Sunrise on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 4:30 pm

NewYorkCity wrote:will the buyers not start wondering why nobody can find them (and consequently not visit them) ?????
Most customers at Telnames are not internet specialists.
Probably most won’t setup Google Analytics; and so they will never know!
avatar
TelBlogger
Insider
Insider

Gender : Male
Join date : 2012-04-29
Posts : 613 Points : 15044
Reputation : 273
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by TelBlogger on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 4:49 pm

NewYorkCity wrote:I summarize comments from this forum:


1. SEO for Telnames isn't possible, because Telnames has no subdomains.
2. Telnames can't be found on Telpages, because search results are sorted by subdomains and not by content.
3. No other directories for Telnames exist that look nice and could make websites from Telnames accessible easily.


Telnames seems to sell more and more websites, but will the buyers not start wondering why nobody can find them (and consequently not visit them) ?????

1. yes correct, 2. irrelevant no one uses telpages.com anyway 3. Don't know what you're talking about here.
avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12525
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Expert on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 5:07 pm

In case Telnames should become famous, someone will create a directory for it!
avatar
GoTel
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2013-01-19
Posts : 249 Points : 7057
Reputation : 163
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by GoTel on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:36 pm

Expert wrote:In case Telnames should become famous, someone will create a directory for it!

They won't be famous until they do !

1. Anyone can get a site on the web, mobile or otherwise, free if they want.

2. Unless they can be easily found, like in a directory, the masses won't care to spend the money.

3. When a popular directory exists, and is promoted, people will want in.

Mass participation depends on a promoted directory (now that a Telname page is worth having in it!)

Telpages is useless and trash as it is, everyone sees that.

A real directory using Telnames can defeat White and Yellow Pages everywhere.

They should simply give away a Telnames page (1 per person or business) and then simply charge £25 annually to be in the directory.
avatar
Mad Max
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-09-22
Posts : 163 Points : 6015
Reputation : 152
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Mad Max on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 4:17 am

Expert wrote:In case Telnames should become famous, someone will create a directory for it!
it would be good if it won't be done by telnic, because telnic would need several years to finish it
Expert wrote:In case Telnames should become famous, someone will create a directory for it!
several directories for tel have been closed already: jeepa.com, teldomainfinder.com
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2224 Points : 45220
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by mikeseaton on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 10:28 am

@All - You are absolutely right - Telnames desperately needs a YP-style directory, generated automatically from the data in each Telnames domain, to stand any chance of becoming a success.

If you look at Telnic's home page at http://www.telnic.org you will see that they invite you to "Join the Global Directory" - which of course was never actually built !

At least Telnames home page at http://www.telnames.com doesn't make any such promises, so no-one can complain that they haven't built such a directory !

I did actually start building the infrastructure for such an automatically-generated .Tel Directory (I know how to do such projects - here's the search engine I wrote to seek out boat sales in multiple countries), but like many forum members I became disillusioned with Telnic/Telnames attitude towards their loyal customers.

This thread is just one more example of why I believe (reluctantly I must admit) the Answer to this Question is Yes !

http://MikeSeaton.tel


___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
NewYorkCity
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-10-12
Posts : 71 Points : 3535
Reputation : 58
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by NewYorkCity on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 11:16 am

I come to the following conclusion:


If a Telnames website buyer doesn't make marketing / advertisement on TV / in newspapers for his .tel (what the majority of small businesses won't do), there is no chance that the Telname is ever visited by anyone other than himself!


Is that right? Why should I buy a website from Telnames then?
avatar
GoTel
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2013-01-19
Posts : 249 Points : 7057
Reputation : 163
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by GoTel on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 11:29 am

NewYorkCity wrote:I come to the following conclusion:


If a Telnames website buyer doesn't make marketing / advertisement on TV / in newspapers for his .tel (what the majority of small businesses won't do), there is no chance that the Telname is ever visited by anyone other than himself!


Is that right? Why I should buy a website from Telnames then?

The same is true for ANY domain and website though.

The benefit of a Telname is that a buyer gets the domain name with an automatic mobile/desktop site, plus hosting and pics and video and deals built-in, all in a profile style like the yellow pages or white pages. (only much better)

They're just missing the directory so they don't have to advertise as you stated above, that's built in too!

Yellow Pages/White Pages/Facebook/Linkedin all figured this out long ago and recently - You advertise the name, the directory, the pages in one place.)

If you're looking for someone on Facebook, you go to Facebook.com

If you're looking for someone on Linkedin, you go to Linkedin.com

If you're looking for someone at Telnames, you go to ??? (TelPages ???, yeah, I wouldn't advertise that either !)

Telnic claims that they have something better than all the other domain extensions with the above, but then leaves themselves to be dumped in the Google or TelPages garbage pile with all the rest ???

A GOOD Telname directory is the whole key in order to benefit from the advantages that Telnames has over the other domain name extensions, with a REAL reason to be in the "book".

With all the new gTLD's coming out this year, loyalty through a directory is key ...


Last edited by GoTel on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 11:44 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added)
avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12525
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Expert on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 11:53 am

GoTel wrote:If you're looking for someone at Telnames, you go to ??? (TelPages ???, yeah, I wouldn't advertise that either !)
You can go to page 12,527 on Google or page 65 on Telpages. (Okay, both are not an option!)
The business needs a search engine optimized .tel from Telnic - and the webmaster will be surprised that he can't administrate pictures and videos in the control panel there.
BTW there is one option to be found even on Google: your customer needs to know your company name.
If you own SmithAndPartnersLondon.tel and the customer knows your name already, he will find you with a little bit of luck.
But if a new customer doesn't know the name of your .tel, he will never find your .tel from Telnames.
Consequently with Telnames you can stay in contact with old customers, but you can't find new customers. Unfortunately the latter is more important!
avatar
Mad Max
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-09-22
Posts : 163 Points : 6015
Reputation : 152
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Mad Max on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 12:19 pm

how much effort is required to change the appearance of telpages into something like this: http://yelp.com ?
avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12525
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Expert on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 12:30 pm

Mad Max wrote:how much effort is required to change the appearance of telpages into something like this: http://yelp.com ?
More than Telnic is willing to invest!

maxi
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-27
Posts : 995 Points : 22202
Reputation : 466
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by maxi on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 12:39 pm

NewYorkCity wrote:I come to the following conclusion:

If a Telnames website buyer doesn't make marketing / advertisement on TV / in newspapers for his .tel (what the majority of small businesses won't do), there is no chance that the Telname is ever visited by anyone other than himself!

Is that right? Why should I buy a website from Telnames then?
I think, you are right. No any reason to buy it except of unexperience of the buyer in Internet matters.

IMHO, Telnames pages are a game for a newcomer who do knows nothing about Internet. One time, for a one year, it is possible to persuade an inexpedienced person to buy it. But at the second year the former newcomer stops to be it. And then, most probably, he/she will not spend again his/her money again on this completely useless thing.

avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12525
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Expert on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 12:51 pm

Good point, maxi!
Take a look at the registrants at Telnames: most are small businesses with little experience in internet marketing.
They don't know about the inefficiency of Telnames.
But who needs a website that can't be found?
It's better saving the registration fees and printing the uploaded background picture to hang it up on the wall at home instead.
Probably more people will see it there!
avatar
Mad Max
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-09-22
Posts : 163 Points : 6015
Reputation : 152
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Mad Max on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 1:29 pm

the future will be interesting:
2013 people who paid 14.95 and don't want to pay 24.95 will drop their tels
2014 people who realize that nobody can find their tel will drop their tels
meanwhile telnics tel continue going down
perhaps 2015 telnic will see the importance and introduce a real tel directory
avatar
Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 735 Points : 19604
Reputation : 540
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Sunrise on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

Henri was the founder of Bizrate.com and Shopzilla.
How come such a smart guy doesn’t see the need for a nice and effective working .tel directory?
avatar
GoTel
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2013-01-19
Posts : 249 Points : 7057
Reputation : 163
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by GoTel on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 5:37 pm

maxi wrote:I think, you are right. No any reason to buy it except of unexperience of the buyer in Internet matters.

IMHO, Telnames pages are a game for a newcomer who do knows nothing about Internet. One time, for a one year, it is possible to persuade an inexpedienced person to buy it. But at the second year the former newcomer stops to be it. And then, most probably, he/she will not spend again his/her money again on this completely useless thing.

Just say the same thing, but replace "Telnames pages" with domain names and websites.


"IMHO, Domain names and websites are a game for a newcomer who do knows nothing about Internet. One time, for a one year, it is possible to persuade an inexpedienced person to buy it. But at the second year the former newcomer stops to be it. And then, most probably, he/she will not spend again his/her money again on this completely useless thing."


Any Telname on Page 1 of Google is worth a million domain names and websites on pages 2 through 10,000,000 !

Talk about fools ! A Telname buyer on Page 1 is a genius compared to most !
avatar
Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 735 Points : 19604
Reputation : 540
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Sunrise on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 7:03 pm

Tricky situation! What are the options for Telnic?
- Introducing subdomains for Telnames to enable customers inserting content (very easy)
- Creating a nice and effective working .tel directory beyond the current Telpages format that will become famous with increasing .tel registration numbers (easy)
- Motivating a third-party developer to program a .tel directory and making it famous by heavy promotion (costly)
- Cooperating with a famous search engine to create a special section only for .tel (persuading difficult)
- Providing tools to push .tel up in the search results at Google, Bing and so on (difficult or even impossible)
- ... ?

maxi
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-27
Posts : 995 Points : 22202
Reputation : 466
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by maxi on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 3:46 am

GoTel wrote:Any Telname on Page 1 of Google is worth a million domain names and websites on pages 2 through 10,000,000 !

Talk about fools ! A Telname buyer on Page 1 is a genius compared to most !
Could you please illustrate these your both statements with real examples?



Sunrise wrote:Tricky situation! What are the options for Telnic?
I have a good business idea for them: nеаrеr thе timе оf rеnеwаl, whiсh will саmе in Mаy, thеy соuld аnnоunсе, for example, thаt аll thе yеаr thеy wоrkеd hаrd tо imprоvе thе prоduсt - аnd thаt frоm nоw сustоmеrs will hаvе 5 subdоmаins аnd 500 сhаrасtеrs оf frее tеxt (instеаd оf fоrmеr 255) аnd 40 соntасts (instеаd оf fоrmеr 20). And duе tо thаt frоm nоw сustоmеrs соuld prоmоtе thеir TЕLs with sеаrсh еnginеs. Thаt сеrtаinly соuld stоp pаrt оf сustоmеrs frоm drоpping thеir TЕLs.

At thе nеxt yеаr thеy аgаin соuld аnnоunсе, thаt аftеr hаrd wоrk thеy аdd 20 subdоmаins аnd 1000 сhаrасtеrs оf frее tеxt. This nеw hоpе ignitеd in thе сustоmеrs аgаin соuld prеvеnt mаss-drоp аnd in this wаy thеy will kееp thеir TЕLs fоr fеw yеаrs instеаd оf drоpping thеm аftеr thе first yеаr.

avatar
GoTel
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2013-01-19
Posts : 249 Points : 7057
Reputation : 163
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by GoTel on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:34 am

maxi wrote:Could you please illustrate these your both statements with real examples?

Absolutely. These were the initial two statements:

1. NewYorkCity wrote:

I come to the following conclusion:

If a Telnames website buyer doesn't make marketing / advertisement on TV / in newspapers for his .tel (what the majority of small businesses won't do), there is no chance that the Telname is ever visited by anyone other than himself!


2. maxi (and gotel) wrote:

"IMHO, (Domain names and websites) are a game for a newcomer who do knows nothing about Internet. One time, for a one year, it is possible to persuade an inexpedienced person to buy it. But at the second year the former newcomer stops to be it. And then, most probably, he/she will not spend again his/her money again on this completely useless thing."

So, someone who is wise has the following:

1. "Information-Effective" and "Cost-Effective" Web Presence

2. "Easily Discovered" Without Additional Advertising

If a simple Telname purchase is an information-effective and cost-effective web presence that is found on page 1 of Google, this is perfect!

If a complicated and expensive website with any tld is not discoverable, then you have only something that you will visit yourself, unless outside advertising is done.

This means that if a Telname is a small price on Page 1, and 3000+ tlds with millions of combined registrations and websites are not on page 1, there is a small percentage that are doing well, Telnames included.

If a Telname is doing well for for a small annual fee - GENIUS compared to those others!

-- As for specific examples, this forum has already shown a list of Telnames doing well.

-- As for bad examples, just Google them, there are billions of newcomers and oldcomers that are not as wise!

maxi
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-27
Posts : 995 Points : 22202
Reputation : 466
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by maxi on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:55 am

GoTel wrote:If a Telname is doing well for for a small annual fee - GENIUS compared to those others!
I think that nobody in this forum doubts that it is a genial conception.

P.S.
"If" - is a good word.

GoTel wrote:As for specific examples, this forum has already shown a list of Telnames doing well.
It seems, that I had missed that post with the examples your had mentioned. Could you please show them here for all those who may be also had missed them?
avatar
TelBlogger
Insider
Insider

Gender : Male
Join date : 2012-04-29
Posts : 613 Points : 15044
Reputation : 273
Warning level : 100 %

Telnames - Please note no censorship required!

Post by TelBlogger on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:58 am

Yes Telnames websites won't be found in search unless the domain name is a search phrase that is only searched a couple of times a day (if that). The only way to get customers to find it would be through advertising and one-to-one contact as you say above.

A sole plumber in a town of 500 people could be found in search I guess if the town's name is unique and they are the only plumber there.

But generally the user must find the name outside search. Like on the side of a car or radio etc.

Telnames is a deeply flawed concept without subdomains.

The people who run the registry (whose name can not be mentioned because of censorship issues) are like a shop selling two products. There are two queues. One has 50,000 people standing in line and each offers a small profit per purchase.

The other queue has 100 people standing in it but the profit per customer is higher.

The people (we can not mention the name because of censorship issues) selling the products have not tried to make more profit per customer for the long cue (captive customers) by producing a better quality product or listening to their (we can not mention the name because of censorship issues) customers.

They (we can not mention the name because of censorship issues) are only focused on the handful of customers in the pathetically short queue.

A recipe for disaster!

NB. Please note that no name has been mentioned.

Alex
Admin

Location : USA
Gender : Male
Join date : 2012-04-27
Posts : 889 Points : 5992
Reputation : 258
Warning level : 100 %
Comments : I have left TelTalk.org.

Please contact the new forum
owner "tel.community" instead!

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Alex on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 7:18 am

TelBlogger wrote:(we can not mention the name because of censorship issues)
At this point I want to make absolutely clear that no censorship happens on TelTalk!

Only comments not respecting the forum rules will be deleted.

Please consider also that I can defend this forum against legal measures only if I delete content with violation of law.

In addition I delete personal data or personal pictures on request, because everybody has a right to privacy.


___________________________________________________

I have left TelTalk.org. Please contact the new forum owner tel.community instead!
avatar
Mad Max
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-09-22
Posts : 163 Points : 6015
Reputation : 152
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Mad Max on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:34 am

Sunrise wrote:Tricky situation! What are the options for Telnic?
one more option is doing nothing and hoping that buyers of a telname won't care if it will be found or not
i guess telnic will do exactly this
if telnic will sell enough telnames without a directory for it, they won't create one
only if sales will decrease, telnic will think about new activities
avatar
Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 735 Points : 19604
Reputation : 540
Warning level : 100 %

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Sunrise on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:42 am

Mad Max wrote:only if sales will decrease, telnic will think about new activities
Telnic must soon begin to think: http://www.teltalk.org/t842p56-the-daily-tel-statistics#5723

Sponsored content

Re: Telnames conceptual mistake

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:10 am